220 Franklin Fuel Pump Options

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

HeavyAir

220 Franklin Fuel Pump Options

Post by HeavyAir »

My M5-220C has an STC'd Weldon 6005-2A Fuel pump. The seal went and started to leak so I sent it in for overhaul. I'm being told that this pump and it's hard parts are nearly extinct. I'm wondering what others with the 6A-350 engine are running for fuel pumps? Just trying to find out what options I might have in the case that this pump needs more than a re-seal.

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: 220 Franklin Fuel Pump Options

Post by Mog »

I never even touch my boost pump. The engine runs on gravity if the mechanical fails and the mechanical engine pump has done well otherwise. CJ aviation I believe will rebuild your pump without issues though.

My plane and most 220’s run the Dukes pump.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

The Dukes pump is the Aux pump & they all have them, the AD came out on the 220 engine driven AC pump requiring replacement with either the Weldon or the PZL. Charlie (CJ aviation) held that STC (Weldon) as we worked with him to get it to approval. PZL pump works great as well if matched gears used (hard to find), I would say CJ Aviation is your best bet if you are talking the engine driven pump. If Aux pump, then it's a new Duke or a rebuilt one. Charlie could probably direct you to who is doing them these days.

vaughans

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have a PZL vane pump as my primary/mechanical. It’s been good to me so far.

HeavyAir

Post by HeavyAir »

Thanks guys, yes I should have been more clear. It's the main driven pump that's the issue. When the seal went it started leaking fuel into the crankcase.

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

You can also use a Lear Romec Fuel pump. It bolts right in place on a Franklin PZL. You will have to adjust the pressure unless you spec the pressure when you order one. They look almost identical to the PZL fuel pump. I have heard that PZL actually used a Lear pump to design their pump.
Curtis

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Here is a pic of my PZL pump.
Attachments
3036839A-69BC-43D6-A1D8-5B6C7029FE3C.jpeg
3036839A-69BC-43D6-A1D8-5B6C7029FE3C.jpeg (104.11 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

HeavyAir

Post by HeavyAir »

Thanks for the feedback fellas. With what you've provided and anything else I could research it appears that the only direction to go long run right now is to a PZL (or PZL compatible) pump. If I understand correctly, that would mean a change in the drive gear as well since mine is a U.S. Franklin.

The great news in the near term is that the hard parts in my pump were considered to be in serviceable shape so that it could be resealed and returned to duty! I'm looking forward to getting it back on and getting back in the air!

Thanks again for your help.