tailspring bracket crack

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

tailspring bracket crack

Post by HeavyLoad »

I did find another post of a user having this issue but the image link no longer worked. So posting a new question.

Here is a attached pic of where the bolt goes through the rear fuselage mount. I've circled the crack. Maybe this is the same issue the last person had. Just wondering what the best solution to fix this would be. And BTW I'm using the ABW spring.

Cheers.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

montana maule
100+ Posts

Re: tailspring bracket crack

Post by montana maule »

I found some channel iron that sleeved over the bracket and welded in place to reinforce the original bracket.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

montana maule wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 pm
I found some channel iron that sleeved over the bracket and welded in place to reinforce the original bracket.
Thanks Montana... That's basically what I was thinking of doing. What size did you use? Did you source it online?

Cheers.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm sure others feel differently but this is one of the reasons that I don't favor "double thump" landings where the tail wheel contacts the ground first. It puts unnecessary strain on the leaf spring and bracket that can eventually stretch out the leaf spring and damage the bracket. The tail wheel is not as rugged as the ABI HD main gear and 31" tundra tires on my airplane. Better to let them take up the contact force in a firm landing.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

bentmettle

Post by bentmettle »

curious if you are seeing crack growth starting on the other side?

have you removed the bolt to see?

is it possible that is shear tearout from the spring rebound forces during a bounce?

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

After talking to Maule sounds like this is caused by bolts being over tightened. Planning on straightening it out and welding up a doubler on it.
Not sure about the other side yet, still need to take it all apart.
===========
M5-210C
RV6