Oil filler gauge/dipstick

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Otis

Oil filler gauge/dipstick

Post by Otis »

I have an M5 with an O540-J1A5D. Anyone know the correct part number for the oil filler gauge? The Lycoming parts book shows only LW-14771, but I would assume it would be different for a tail wheel versus nose wheel airplane? Maule says they don’t carry dipsticks.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Re: Oil filler gauge/dipstick

Post by gdflys »

I don't know if there are any different dipsticks. That said, when I bought my M5 with the same engine, someone previously had punched a dimple into the dipstick just below the 9 quart line. It just so happens to be the same level that any more oil than that blows out the crankcase breather. At or below that mark I typically will add a quart every 20-25 hours or so. I'll try and get a picture next time I get the chance and remember. I'm on 8.50s and stock oleo gear.

Edit to add that when I do the oil and filter changes I add 10 quarts of oil and a pint of Camguard and it is right around that dimple. So I figure the dipstick reads about a quart lower than what's actually in there in the taildragger stance.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Otis

Post by Otis »

Thx for the reply Greg.
I’m on 8.5s and stock struts as well. Someone tried to etch my dipstick where we think the oil should be, but it would be nice to have quart marks below that. The engine just came back from a total tear down and IRAN inspection and I’m trying to get a feel for oil consumption. I’ll have to look at the quart marks to see if they look a quart low.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Worst case you can always drain your oil and add it back in a quart at time and check the dipstick between each one to see how it compares?
I know some have done this with oil and fuel dipsticks after changing tire size or gear.

Otis

Post by Otis »

Thx guys. I was hoping to get away from my well used dipstick with a lot of chicken scratching on it, but it probably wasn’t worth the $252 it would have cost from Spruce anyway.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Just measured the dipstick for my M5 with O540-J1A5D. Overall length from base of cap threads to tip is 17”.

Photo below shows the quantity marks. Seems accurate with 8.50s on standard gear.

Kirk

Otis

Post by Otis »

Thanks Kirk,
This is perfect. After an IRAN inspection on my engine, I tried to add oil and mark the dipstick, but with clean oil it’s really hard to see.
I think I’ll get some proper metal stamps and start over.
Thanks again.