Intercom Jacks

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Intercom Jacks

Post by drak130 »

Hello All,

Just got a call from the avionic shop. I'm having LEMO plugs installed at all four (but not the 5th) seats. Installer said the LEMO plugs were too deep so would require some sort of pocket setup. Before he makes the cut outs though he wanted to know about placement. Currently the jacks for the middle pax seats are directly under the seats and hard to get to while in the seats. I usually plug the headsets in for folks before they get in. Any reason not to move them forward? They are near the floor so issues with feet?

Thanks
Tim

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Intercom Jacks

Post by Kirk »

I recessed my rear jacks in the left sidewall forward of the rear seats using this housing from Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... _hous3.php

Routed the wiring along the side of the fuselage. Not sure how deep the LEMO plugs are or if this will give you enough clearance. I will be at the airport tomorrow and can post a pic.

Kirk

MnMauleFlyer

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

I have mine mounted in the same position as Kirk describes, using a housing that looks very similar: it allows the headset jacks to be plugged in at an angle so there's minimal recess.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Kirk,

I will absolutely take you up on the pics. Thank you!

Tim

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Here it is with rear seat removed:

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thanks Kirk,

That answers the mail! Do both sides plug in on that side or is there another recess on the other side?

Tim

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I set mine up for both headsets to plug in on that side. Most my headset cords would reach with the cord run along the front edge of the seat. My plan for a neater install was to run a 5’ headset extension cord I have along the upper tube of the seat back. It would neatly stow inside the seat fabric tube pocket.

As things turned out though, I’ve never had 2 people in the back seat. Haven’t bothered with the extension since the headset cord reaches either seat.

Kirk

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Mine are mounted overhead behind the speaker and dome light. They're mounted straight in so not sure if there's enough room for LEMO plugs or not but it might be another option.
Attachments
Maule inside A2A.jpg
Maule inside A2A.jpg (151.47 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

may consider installing Lemo and standard plugs both up front at least. You will have someone with a standard headset hop in and would like to use their own headset.

Knoxville

Post by Knoxville »

LEMO plug to GA adapters are available on Amazon and eBay.