Method of re-installing Lycoming cylinder baffels ?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Method of re-installing Lycoming cylinder baffels ?

Post by Hale-Yes »

Greetings, I'm in need of some helpful advice. I am trying figure out how to re-install the Lycoming factory cylinder baffles on my IO 540. Removing them was tough and not very pretty. But now with all the parts freshly zinc plated, am stumped as to how to re-install them by my self. I thought I might be able to pull the J hook by looping a piece of tig wire to it and looping the other end around a piece of wood dowl for a handle, while at the same time compressing the leafspring with a wood hammer handel enugh to latch the J hook to the leaf spring. Yea, that didn't work. Does anyone have a workable one man solution ?
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Re: Method of re-installing Lycoming cylinder baffels ?

Post by Hale-Yes »

It turns out that Lycoming makes a tool for just this job. But I was able to get one of my buddies to help (with the promise of cold beer) and we succeeded in getting the baffels reinstalled.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Cold beer is the professional's tool of choice. :lol:
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Yup. Its better than Bit Coin as trade material.