High EGT#1

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

chris_01

High EGT#1

Post by chris_01 »

Since a while, I'm having the problem of a high EGT#1 mainly during high-power phases like the Take-Off and climb-out.
In Cruise flight, I can lean normally and temps roughly even out.
I know that EGT temps are usually not that relevant, but it is more about the delta between them and in this case I start wondering. I had the cowling open to look for any issues between carb and cylinders where it could get wrong air and have tightened all clamps - but it didn't help. Do you have any idea?
I attach a screenshot of the EDM data of such a phase.

andy
Site Admin

Re: High EGT#1

Post by andy »

I had to replace one of EDM 800 EGT probes years ago because it was reading high without any cylinder problems. Haven't had problems since.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Swap the EGT probe on cylinder #1 with one from another cylinder. If the high reading follows the probe (now reading high on the cylinder you moved it to) the probe is bad. If the high reading remains in #1, the problem is with the cylinder.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Suggest checking Baffling is in correct attitude on that side, such when lowering top cowl, that it’s not being bent down. A look through front should do it, with a flashlight.
A paint stick works great prior to fastening hdw., if an adjustment is needed.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Old Piper wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am
Suggest checking Baffling is in correct attitude on that side, such when lowering top cowl, that it’s not being bent down. A look through front should do it, with a flashlight.
A paint stick works great prior to fastening hdw., if an adjustment is needed.
Excellent suggestion, as that should indeed be checked anytime cowling is reinstalled. That said, I believe that a baffle issue would effect CHT, but not EGT. Nevertheless, always good to check that.

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

Thanks for the suggestions!
Of course it is about EGT, not CHT. I managed to improve the CHT and baffling issues by now..
On the EGT - next time I'll change the EGT probes, that's a good idea. Still, if it was the reason, I'd wonder why it goes to almost-normal during cruise flight.
I'm a bit scared about valve sealing or seating troubles, sticky valve or anything in that direction.
Let's see if I can just blame it on the EGT probe, that would be my favourite ;-)
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

A fouled plug can cause a high EGT also, but I'm not sure off the top of my head, if/why it would come more in line during cruise though...

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

High EGT on one cylinder is usually a bad or partially bad plug. Try an inflight mag check and review the EDM, you should clearly see the problem. I have attached and image with the same problem detected that way.
Teddy