Jacking a maule

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Re: Jacking a maule

Post by bobguhr »

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Well there u go... the kiss principle!

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

bobguhr wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:22 pm
https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthre ... ck-options
Check out post #16
And here I thought I was being original when I tried the same idea last summer just to see if it would work.
I used bungees to keep the 2x4 in place while I got the jack into position. Don't know if it is the safest way but it does work.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

What floor jack are you using? My 2-ton hydraulic jack only lifts to 13-5/8" but you can get a 3-ton jack from Harbor Freight that lifts to 20". I needed a height of 19" to comfortably get the 31" tire on and off the axle because the tire expands as you lift the weight of the airplane off it.

The 3-ton jack was way too big and heavy to take with me in the airplane so that's why I bought the Lil' Lifter 3.

Harbor Freight has a 5,000 lb scissors jack that lifts to 23-1/2" for $36.99. That would be small enough to take in the airplane with a pad on top of the jack plate or small 2x4 block to protect the axle. The downside for me is that scissors jacks are much more unstable than floor jacks and you have to get them just right to be stable.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

andy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:36 am
What floor jack are you using?
It is just the 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight. It only goes up to 14" so I had to wedge a smaller piece of 2x4 between it and the longer piece to make it work.
andy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:36 am
...that's why I bought the Lil' Lifter 3.
This really looks to be the best option in terms of portability, shame they don't make it anymore.