Optional gascolator fire shield on M4 or M5 Franklin

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

johnmo61

Optional gascolator fire shield on M4 or M5 Franklin

Post by johnmo61 »

Anyone with the Franklin engine M4 or M5 have the gascolator fireshield installed on their firewall?

Pic is for help in description.

Please PM me, if so.

Thanks

andy
Site Admin

Re: Optional gascolator fire shield on M4 or M5 Franklin

Post by andy »

I have a Lycoming O-360-C1F with a JPI EDM800 engine analyzer. The A&P and I installed a fire sleeve on the fuel flow transducer because it was required by the STC. It's a really good idea whether required or not. There are 3 fittings rather than 1 and more opportunities for a fuel leak.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

That’s interesting; on the EI fuel flow STC, the firesleeve is optional.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Isn’t anyone going to comment on how stupid clean that firewall is for being a Franklin powered Maule. I didn’t know anyone cared enough about Franklin Maules to rebuild them to that level. Serious firewall envy here.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Mog wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm
Isn’t anyone going to comment on how stupid clean that firewall is for being a Franklin powered Maule. I didn’t know anyone cared enough about Franklin Maules to rebuild them to that level. Serious firewall envy here.
The airplane in pic has spring gear. I didn't think franklins and spring gear ever overlapped

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

🤷‍♂️ Guess that’s true?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Andy Young, my A&P was adamant about the fire sleeve on the fuel flow transducer and told me that it was required by the STC. I looked through the online 2009 version of the JPI installation manual. There is a statement on page 2 (h) that relates to the fire sleeve but that's the only one I found. I installed my EDM 800 in 2002 so it's possible that a more definitive statement was in the earlier version of the installation manual. I'll take a look at it next time I'm at the hangar.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

JPI instructions do still require fire sleeve on the transducer. The fuel line is customarily replaced with two sections with the transducer somewhere in the middle and wrapped. There is also spec that it cannot be but so far from a support on the fuel line. Think I have seen EI transducers hard mounted on the firewall, etc. Don't know how common that is. Also for some reason think the JPI transducer is a commercially available unit while EI is built by or for them specifically. Both seem to work pretty well.

Remember when we just pulled the mixture back till we felt the power drop off then pushed it up just past smooth again. Heck, seldom had a working EGT. Ran a lot of engines to TBO over a lot of cold dark nights like that. These days we have customers who come in after all but calling an emergency because a thermocouple hiccupped and one CHT or EGT fell off the scale. But my favorite was the young green instructor who while still in the pattern declared an emergency because of (get this) high oil pressure and low oil temp.

Don't get me wrong, love my 930 and would love to install one for you but please add a touch of common sense to your engine management.

Forgive me for hijacking the thread but I'm old and so love to play soapbox captain once in a while.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Mog wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm
Yes, my very first thought was "hmm, so that's what that is supposed to look like". :D

johnmo61

Post by johnmo61 »

I'm sorry my post threw you guys off.

The pic was to help in the description of the gascolator shield. Not the Model aircraft.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

My M5-220C does have the fire shield around the gascolator, I never questioned why just figured it was an engine heat requirement.

I was going to comment on the perfect engine compartment picture until I saw all the finger prints on the firewall, oh wait, those are on my computer screen, never mind. :D

Ralph
Akafrank

johnmo61

Post by johnmo61 »

Akafrank wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:41 pm
My M5-220C does have the fire shield around the gascolator, I never questioned why just figured it was an engine heat requirement.

I was going to comment on the perfect engine compartment picture until I saw all the finger prints on the firewall, oh wait, those are on my computer screen, never mind. :D

Ralph
Akafrank
Ralph,

When you have the cowling off, can I get a few pics?
Thanks!

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

Will do. For some reason, my outbox is holding my PMs. Send me your email, may be a bit before I drop the lower cowling.

ralph.isabella@gmail.com

Ralph
Akafrank

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Akafrank, your PMs will stay in the outbox until they are read. Make sure you haven't exceeded 100 total PMs counting all mailboxes, including Sent.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

I am removing the engine to install an engine monitor, NDT+paint engine mount, new gascolator shield, and now, thanks to that photo a new firewall is now also required!😠
1976 M5-235C