What to install prior to fabric?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

asa
100+ Posts

What to install prior to fabric?

Post by asa »

Hello everyone,

I have purchased a new fuselage for my Maule in preparation for a complete rebuild of the airplane. Due to constraints with my Alaska flying season, I am going to cover the new fuselage in oratex while my plane is still flying. I think I realize the downsides to this, but also the upsides. I've been brainstorming on what is REQUIRED to be installed onto the fuselage prior to fabric going on. There are many things that are easier before fabric, but I'm looking for the ones where it's not much of an option, as I will have to source all of these things since my airplane will still be flying. My current list is below. Please help by making suggestions on required and (very) desired items to be installed prior to gluing on the fabric. A big question mark is the cables/pulleys. Can I do these after so I can use current cables as a length template? The cheaper the item the more willing I am to just buy it and install ahead of time.

Required:
- Rear Position Light wiring
- VOR antenna (if you want one)
- Static source aluminum tubing on left side of fuselage

If it helps with providing information, I purchased the M6 fuselage from James on this forum:

Thanks,
Asa

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Re: What to install prior to fabric?

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy,

It's all about your dream of use going forward for your aircraft, as you don't want to, and shouldn't need to cover it a second time. Here are some possibilities:

I would suggest weld on handles each side at rear. (Easier to move around without touching fabric.)
Also, suggest eliminating the eye pokers and mount an interior anntena in rear of fuselage for VOR.
Mounting remote ELT in rear fuselage behind bagage compartment.
If not running cables and wire to rear now, then run string for each to pull later. Don't forget to install the cable nylon two pc. Bushings with rings in all areas now.
Run two wires to tail-light into fuselage, one for grounding to frame. Look into required wires for tail-light ADSB option if your going that direction.
Check all exterior fabric applied surfaces for any potential sharp wear points to smooth off.
Fuel, anntena & wires for wings, incl. New wiring for new stobes and wigwam if desired.
Float fittings? Pulley brackets & Vertical fin brackets all to mount now, if future warrants it.
Center mount for two seat belts for rear seat if not there already. Also mounts for 5th seat.
Boss attach points for shoulder mount seatbelts where needed.
Any rear window or skylight mods.

That'll keep you busy, but with that covering, listing #1 to me sounds most needed.

Good luck with your project, I went with Stewarts on my M5-210C, no odor, flameable, or toxic, done in basement. :lol:

Tom

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Thanks for the info Tom. Have the grab handles sitting on my coffee table ready to weld on. Other than that, I believe the fuselage has all the mods/features I want - skylight, float fittings, shoulder belt attach, metal stringers. I am switching from an M7 fuselage to an M6 so there's a fair amount of uncertainty but I'm trying to anticipate the challenges so thanks for your tips.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I’ll let Asa speak for himself as to his own reasons, but for some folks, and for some operations, going from an M-7 to and M-6 is considered a move forward, vs. backwards. They are lighter, but have the same gross weight, for example. Some also prefer the sleeker look of the fuselage without the bump on the roof. Certainly the M -7 has its advantages as well, particularly if you carry back-seat passengers frequently.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

M7's are ugly.

I have determined through insufficient experience and knowledge that I want an M6 with long wings. Thus, I will build an M6 with long wings. I'm working with Maule to alter mod kit 57 to include me.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

MauleWacko wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Again it was just a curious thought. It still seems going backward to me being the 57 mod is to make a longwing m6. Without a data plate how a m7 becomes a m6 and paper work and all known hours damage history etc. It's your project and money go for it. So I would do the weld on pull handles and also I would do at least a aft section of removable belly pan. It all depends on your mission for use. Might want or need better tie down points etc or better tab placement for easier access under floor etc. I'd like to know the weight saving between the two M6 and M7 fuselages with same mods on them being curious I'd bet not much. For the so called hump on the m7 ya I know what you mean. On My M7 long wing I installed a super skylight. It drops the hump three inches. Only the upper longerons are above the wing root and gave me more height for inside tall cargo. Yah I could never fool myself how it looked, until I realized it is the swept tail that makes them ugly compared to my old round tail M4-220. Years back on this site there used to be a lot of talk of mods being done. Seems like most are gone, bent up or maybe dead. Johan with maule mods had a lot of ideals and mods not sure if you can find old post or not. It all has changed with time. keep at it and find what works for you. :D
Thanks for the info, and I understand the curiosity - many many pilots would consider this a step backwards. Shirley at Maule is filing Mod Kit 94 with the FAA for me. From talking to them, at the end of the project I will get the choice to request a new airworthiness certificate stating I converted to an M6, or I can keep it an M7 in the FAA's eyes and it will simply have an M6 fuselage. Someone mentioned that converting to an M6 legally would reduce my insurance as the plane goes from 5 seats to 4 seats. I'm unclear if this is true because my insurance is only for 4 seats anyway.

Anyway, other than tail handles I wasn't planning on more welding, just looking to find out what was best to bolt on or install prior to covering the plane, Would still love tips if anyone thinks of anything.

Thanks,
Asa

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

MauleWacko wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:15 pm
As mentioned curious and it's your project and money. Great you can do it. Not sure of any other mods to do without welding. What is mod 94?
For me on insurance it was how I insured it. My m7 was four place and a Cessna T210 I had at four place instead of six. I Know things have changed.
Have fun with your build sounds interesting and challenging which is a good thing.
Mod Kit 94 is being developed for this project. "Conversion from M7-235 or M7-235A to M6-235 by replacing existing fuselage with M-6-235 Fuselage"

I thought the same about insurance. I'd prefer it remain an M7 on paper actually.