Glider hitch with Scott TW

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Duane
100+ Posts

Glider hitch with Scott TW

Post by Duane »

I had an interesting issue come up while talking to a customer yesterday. He has a M-5 with a Scott tailwheel. The print for installing the glider hitch, 3196, clearly states that the Maule TW must be used for this installation. Does anyone know if there is a STC or maybe have a 337 for using the Scott or maybe the ABI TW? He has the Schweizer version. He is just looking to keep everything legal.

Dale Smith

Re: Glider hitch with Scott TW

Post by Dale Smith »

Hey Duane,

My M-5 has a glider tow hook with a Scott tail wheel on it. It was on the plane when I bought it. I will go through my paper work to see what I can find out. Now has me wondering if it is legal or no one has ever said anything about it.

Thanks
No great story started with a good idea...

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Hi Duane,
Like Dale, my 1976 M5 also has the Scott tailwheel with the glider towhook. Came this way from the factory. I think it is the Schweitzer towhook, but I’ll send a photo this week.
Carl
1976 M5-235C

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Hi Duane,
The issue might be the that the Scott tailwheel is displaced further aft than a Maule tailwheel. In an extreme situation where the glider is way too low in tow, the rope could contact the tailwheel? This would be so abnormal, that the glider should have released long before getting into such a position, or the towpilot would have pickled the glider by that point. I can’t see any issue with the rope contacting the wheel, that would be the least of concern to either aircraft. This is just a guess, of course.
Carl

[url=https://postimg.cc/QFzmgQGG][img]https://i.postimg.cc/QFzmgQGG/1-AA4-C26 ... -B4-A1.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Ok, Ryan came through with a 337 for his M-4 with a Schweizer tow hook with a Scott tailwheel. Lets see if this pic thing works. Never tried it before.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Well rats. Should have been 4 pages. gonna try again. :)