Removing Elevator Gap Seals

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

asa
100+ Posts

Removing Elevator Gap Seals

Post by asa »

Replacing my trash elevator gap seals and the old seals have become one with the airplane. Any tricks on getting it off? They definitely aren't "peeling" off. Some of it is chipping off. Using a thin razor, I can sort of slice it off very carefully.

Thought maybe someone had been down this road and found a good way. If not, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. For a long time.

-Asa

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: Removing Elevator Gap Seals

Post by maules.com »

Try wd40, it might work.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Break cleaner will soften the hard dry adhesive. I've used it to clean up the residue of old adhesive on mine. I tested it first on the belly to make sure it wouldn't harm the paint ( didn't harm mine) and found it to be ideal for wiping away the grunge on the belly.
Concerning using a razor blade your a braver sole then I, they do make plastic razor blades I've used them to remove vinyl stickers from truck doors .
Little bit of heat from a hair dryer( heat gun might be too hot) and the edge of credit/membership card
The best Government, is less Government.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Got it all done. Nothing really worked to improve the process - 75% of it chipped off in tiny flakes. The top was the worst. The bottom, presumably from being protected from UV, was more pliable to occasionally it'd peel off in up to 2" long pieces. It took the paint down to silver in about 90% of the area. I left it like that because I figured adhesion would be better than way as opposed to rattle can paint on top of silver. I'll rattle can the top of the seals to hide the silver. Luckily the plane looks like crap anyway so no damage done in that regard.

New seals went on in about 30 seconds. I didn't use the soapy water trick or anything, just went for it. Worked great.