Cracked Spinner Cone - MX-7-160

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Aerobatix

Cracked Spinner Cone - MX-7-160

Post by Aerobatix »

During preflight noticed a significant crack in the spinner cone about 4" long starting at the front section of the prop blade cutout.

Pulled the spinner and the internal support cone. The backplate is still attached since its behind the prop. Can I fly with the spinner cone off?

Where can I get a new spinner cone for the best price and what should I expect to pay? Anyone have a good condition used one for sale?

Appreciate any help!!

Rob

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

In a seminar on ramp checks given by the local FSDO, the speaker was adamant that an aircraft was not airworthy with a cracked spinner, a spinner that had a crack stop drilled, or without its spinner. (He did concede that the POH could conceivably be written so that the spinner was optional.)

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I think rjb is correct. Ramp check could spell bad news.
Don't tell anyone I wrote this....I would fly without and watch the temps as this could effect the flow of air. I have seen at least a 100 aircraft operated without spinners over the years. I have also seen dozens of spinners welded from the inside. I have never done this and do not know if it is allowed.
My theory would be..fix what caused the crack in the first place then find a welder that welds aluminum EVERY day, preheat the spinner in an oven and place a really small bead on the inside of the spinner. Install and inspect,inspect and reinspect. Meanwhile eye's open for used one.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

I plan to put the spinner cone and support ring in the back of the plane IF I need to fly it before I can get a replacement. That way I would "hope" to get through a ramp check by stating we are on our way home and discovered the problem at our last fuel stop.

Anyone know the best source for a replacement spinner?????

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I suggest you check out backcountryboyscout posts at backcountrypilot.org and ask there as well about a used spinner.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Long story short. I watched an ATL FSDO inspector crawl all over an ATL ACO test pilot when he was caught flying an FAA rented C-310 with the spinner removed. The Atl FAA test pilot found a crack in the spinner in Savannah at Gulfstream, so he removed it. The inspector turned three shades of colors when he was told to go away. The FSDO guys think a WHOLE lot of that spinner. I can tell you don't worry about temps, there will be no difference, and you won't be able to tell it's not there. I have no idea why they are so anal about spinners, but trust me they are. Don't weld it, buy a new one.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule MX7-160's had spinner problems.
The middle bulkhead was prone to cracking at the prop bolt holes and because it is fixed pitch the spinners were not getting pulled at each annual as they should be. Possibly this was the start of your cracking.
When Maule introduced the MX7-180A and 160, they ended up short of middle bulheads for the 180 and Sensenich and Maule decided to ream/drill out the holes of the 160 bulkheads to accomodate the 180 bolt size.
I had to call warranty on many of these bulkheads in the past and Sensenich responded very well with replacement.If your mounting screw holes are ovalled or wallowed out atall thes can cause the cracking.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

Jeremy,

On my Maule the bulkhead has no bolts/screws to attach the cone to the bulkhead. The only screws are those that attach the spinner cone to the backplate.

Does this seem correct? I checked the Seinsinich website and I did notice most of the spinners had holes for mounting the bulkhead to the cone in addition to the backplate.

Thanks!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have not looked at an MX7-160 in some time so cannot properly remember the screw pattern used.
I have here a 1993 MX7-180A (fixed pitch) and a 1999 MXT7-180A (fp) and they both have 12 fasteners around the backing plate and 6 fasteners around the support bukhead.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

I ordered a complete new spinner kit from Sensinich today. Total cost was $637 and this spinner has screws for the middle bulkhead as well as the backplate. Should have it on Thursday!!

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think you will come out better in the long run. I'm afraid of welding spinners, yes it's done, but I'm not sure it should be. If nothing else it throws the balance off.
If your up this way on a weekend I'll balance the prop if you want to. You buy the beer.

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

I have the MX7-180 fixed pitch, any idea on the cost for just the spinner cone? or do you have to purchase the whole kit with spacer and bulkhead?
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

check out the sensinich.com website for spinner prices. I believe the spinner cone alone was $395. They were very helpful when I called to speak with them. Good service, fair price and same day shipping!

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

a64pilot wrote:I think you will come out better in the long run. I'm afraid of welding spinners, yes it's done, but I'm not sure it should be. If nothing else it throws the balance off.
If your up this way on a weekend I'll balance the prop if you want to. You buy the beer.
A64 - I'd like to take you up on the prop balance offer. I'll check in with you once we're back in the air!!!

Thanks,

Rob