Rudder cable r&r m7

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Allparg

Rudder cable r&r m7

Post by Allparg »

Can anyone give me a estimate of hours to r&r rudder cables?
Thx
Ap

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Rudder cable r&r m7

Post by Andy Young »

Accurately estimating the time to complete a repair is much more difficult on an airplane than it is on a car. I’ve worked as a mechanic in both industries, and it took me a while to re-calibrate my estimates when I transitioned into the aviation industry.
It very often takes longer than one would guess, due partly to a wider range of variability between supposedly identical aircraft, and the almost ubiquitous need to modify or fabricate parts, even new ones, when working in aircraft. One friend of mine, when asked how long it was going to take him to complete a repair, always said “I don’t know; I’m not done yet”.

That said, replacing rudder cables on a Maule is pretty straight-forward, with little to go wrong. if I were estimating this job for a customer, I would tell them “Probably between two and four hours, including fabricating the new cables”. If by “R&R” you mean “remove and reinstall” (vs. “remove and replace”) you can knock about 30 minutes off that.

Note that someone else’s estimate may be very different, and they may be more correct. A lot depends on how familiar they are with your particular airplane model. Other variables include, but are not limited to, how much stuff you leave in the plane that the mechanic has to remove to do the work, modifications that make it harder to remove the floors or interior panels, prior work during which things were assembled incorrectly, corroded fasteners, things on the verge of failing that do as soon as they are touched, hidden damage found when doing the work, etc. etc.

So now I’m curious: did someone quote you already and you’re trying to get a sense of whether their quote was fair? Or are you wondering how long it will take you to do it?

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Thx Andy,
Thanks for the estimate, this Maule is new to me.

Now the rest of story.... Aircraft went in for avionics upgrade several months ago, promised delivery before Thanksgiving.... well that didn't happen .... In meantime it went out of annual...Had shop annual it, got dinged on rudder cables and one aileron cable being frayed... personally i would have brought it home and r&r’d at my hangar, but that option is not available. Meantime, in this covid world we live in, i have to go back to work, people are flying and my schedule is getting busy.
So i probably will be paying the shop to do them. Not something i want to do, but have no choice... (they really aren’t familiar with Maules).
Having looked through the IPC and MM don’t see the callout on size. I am guessing 1/8 on the aileron and rudder(stainless?) can anyone confirm?
Any additional estimates would be appreciated.

Thx
Ap

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yes, 1/8”. Can be stainless or galvanized.
What did the shop quote you?

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Nothing yet

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Andy, while we are sorta on the subject.... Maules IPC, On their drawings they referance “see note xx” , but nowhere on the page are the notes. Is there somewhere i am missing....

Thx
Ap