Drum to dual puck disk M4 question.

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

G21pilot

Drum to dual puck disk M4 question.

Post by G21pilot »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has the paperwork associated with the mod #12 Drum Brakes changed to Disc Brakes - Single and Dual. I’m installing the ABI 199-62 kit and I’m curious if bushings are required on the bolts.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0k4YE6d ... WJiDfVZTzQ

Cheers!

Greg

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: Drum to dual puck disk M4 question.

Post by maules.com »

Bushings are needed on the torque plate bolts.
I would definitely advise replacing the rigid brake lines with stainless braided ones.
the old rigid ones get work hardened and fatigue, then break at the most inopportune moments.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

maules.com wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:44 pm
I would definitely advise replacing the rigid brake lines with stainless braided ones.
the old rigid ones get work hardened and fatigue, then break at the most inopportune moments.
Out of curiosity what is the service life of the SS lines? What about the brake lines between the pedals and to the gear legs?

In recent years I have replaced old fuel and oil cooler hoses so wondering what the brake line life span is.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Mine have been on since 2008 and show no signs of wear. Unless you hit something I doubt you will ever need to replace them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Jeremy, What kind of unatanium are those bushings made out of for the torque plates? Do you know of a cheaper source?
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Probably steel. As in a bit of steel gasoline line cut to correct length. Measure the bolt shank and torque plate hole and thickness. Might work, I can't remember exactly.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I priced them from Cleveland on line and they were like $35.each! Most people who get that much, do so with a mask and a gun.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Try pricing the spacers that go between the wheel and the brake disc on some models. Cleveland is quite proud of all those little metal bits. Oddly, whole wheel and brake kits are comparatively reasonable (in the airplane parts price context, that is).

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

maules.com wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:44 pm
The ABI kit comes with two bushings per plate. I’m wonder where they are shown in the assembly… just opposing bolts? I may fab some up for the rest of the bolts though I suspect there is enough friction in the assembly to keep it from moving.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I called ABI because there bushings for the torque plate bolts on there brake assembles were listed as $8.00 ea (I think, its been some time) verses $35.00 ea for the Cleveland bushing, but the person whom I spoke to did not know it the bushings would work as a direct replacement for the Cleveland brakes. I ordered 8 of them anyway. I got the package a few days later, opened it and found that I had received only 1 bushing and the shipping was twice what the bushing cost. I am not blaming ABI. I just caught someone early in the day who had not had there second cup of coffee yet. I have done the same. I still don't know if they are a direct replacement.