Crack in Cowl

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Crack in Cowl

Post by drak130 »

Hello All and happy Veterans's day to all those who have served or supported the cause,

Small crack in cowling. At first thought it was a surface crack but after my last flight I saw a small amount of oil seeping out so it is all the way through. Pulling the cowl off this week to install the second set of GAMIs, do the exhust check that y'all have mentioned and track where the oil is coming from in the first place. Went ahead and marked it to see if it progresses.

I have done a bit of fiberglass work on boats and cars so was thinking of reinforcing the crack location on the inside on both sides with some cloth and resin. Seems like it should work but what do I know? I'm just a caveman pilot.

Thanks
Tim

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: Crack in Cowl

Post by maules.com »

What model plane and engine.
If 260hp then cracks do occur there especially on carbon fibre cowls.
The muffler is very close and causes brittleness. If you fix it, place some silver heat tape on the inside around muffler area to deflect heat. It could also happen with the 235hp though it does not usually get as hot.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

drak130
100+ Posts

Re: Crack in Cowl

Post by drak130 »

Yup, it's a 1998 235hp. Thanks for the input. Will do the tape tomorrow as an immediate fix as I strategize on a permanent solution.