hot EGT o, n Cylinder 1?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

CRAZEDpilot

hot EGT o, n Cylinder 1?

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

O360-C1F in my M5. Cylinder 1 EGT seems real hot...... according to my EDM, she's about 200-250deg hotter than any
other EGT.

Suggestions? Is this common? If the search function on the forum worked i'd search but it's broken......

-Brendan

drak130
100+ Posts

Re: hot EGT o, n Cylinder 1?

Post by drak130 »

Is this something new or has it always run hot?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Swap probs 1 & 3 and see if problem follows the probe or stays with the cylinder
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

EGT probes can go bad. I had to replace one of mine that works with my JPI EDM800. They're also very sensitive to placement on the exhaust pipe. If you replaced the exhaust recently and they had to re-drill the sensor holes, it might be closer to the header than the others.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

The EDM730 is brand new, i highly doubt it's the probe honestly i was
wanting to not diagnose the EDM i wanted to know if CYL1 is commonly
hot or a common baffle issue anyone has seen? I can heck all the otherstuff,
but IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE COMMON i need to check for on our specific
installations / cowling / baffling configs?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you trust the EDM and EGT probe, then cylinders 1 and 2 should be the cooler ones being in front of the engine. Sometimes the baffling that is supposed to flex up against the cylinder fins gets pushed down below the fins by someone who doesn't know which way it is supposed to go. It's easier to pull back up on cylinder 1 than on cylinder 2 without removing the cowling. When the baffling is up against the cylinder fins, in-rushing air pushes it against the fins and the air is forced around the cooling fins down through the bottom cowling. When the baffline is down below the cooling fins, in-rushing air pushes it down away from the cooling fins and much of the air flows down through the bottom cowling without flowing around the cylinder fins. That would make the cylinder run hotter but you would see it on the CHT with the EDM. If you're not seeing unusually hot CHT on that cylinder, you might have the start of a valve problem. Maybe the exhaust valve seat needs to be ground. I would exhaust the possibility of the EDM being the problem first. You might be able to inspect the valve seat with a bore scope through a plug hole.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Engine monitors are a great tool, but can give the pilot information overload. There are a few things that could give a high EGT that have nothing to do with an engine problem. If you read articles by Mike Busch his main concern is CHT and isn't overly concerned with EGT readings. I have a carbureted O540 that depending on the throttle setting routinely runs a 250F spread between cylinders. ( 2500 hrs. of data) I have an Electronics International monitor. If you go to their website https://iflyei.com/downloads/, you can download a diagnostic manual. It will run you through the process of using your monitor to diagnose problems and what different readings may indicate.