What Bolt is used on Drawing 4008F OLEO STRUT ?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

CRAZEDpilot

What Bolt is used on Drawing 4008F OLEO STRUT ?

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

Trying to prepare my new 4" extended Oleo struts. Maule sent me new springs.

It was during COVID startup, and they sent me springs. I asked for all that I needed - but they didn't include
the bolts (part #13 in the diagram) the 4 bolts that hold the piston in place.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE AN BOLT part# for CALLOUT #13? I don't know why it's not shown specifically,
but someone here must know.
-Brendan

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Re: What Bolt is used on Drawing 4008F OLEO STRUT ?

Post by norcal64d »

I just recently replaced those exact bolts, and it is not clear at all. The bolts (original I believe) that I removed were 5/16x24, drilled head, with a grip of 1/16" and a total length of 5/8. They were installed with a washer. The bolts the Maule factory sent me as a replacement were a 5/16" drilled head bolt with the same grip, but as far as I could tell, intended to be used without the washer. They were cut down to closer to 1/2" and were very tricky to not mess up threads with since they were longer bolts cut down. The washer was confusing because all 8 bolts had them when I disassembled the struts but they are not shown on the drawing. Also, if you use washers, they basically put the shear load of the bolt right on where the threading starts which from my understanding is not optimal.

Based on my AN chart, the bolts I removed were AN5-4 with a drilled head, and the bolts Maule sent are probably the equivalent of an AN5-3 since they were cut down. My suggestion is to call the factory and double check.

Tim
1991 MX-7-180

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

Yea Kasey replied today and they're gonna send them. I'll be careful installing - washer isn't' called out in the diagram you're right. Thanks!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a load bearing washer brazed on the oleo cylinder on Maule oleos.
Drilled bolt head so as to safety wire all four as they can become loosened, then no longer in shear.
Make sure the bolts do not bottom out but do go in and far as possible for ultimate grip.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide