Making SA great again (MX-7-180 upgrade)

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Making SA great again (MX-7-180 upgrade)

Post by Njacko »

Well, after nearly 800 hours and more than a thousand off-airport landings, I finally messed one up and turned N280SA upside down. No harm whatsoever to the idiot driver, but the prop, cowlings, engine, fuselage, windshield, wings, wingtip and lift struts all need various degrees of attention.

Rather than just fix the bent and broken parts, I decided - inspired by Yellowmaule and freedom - on a complete strip-down and re-build so as to “make Sierra Alpha great again”.

The idea is to start with a fresh (rust-free) fuselage from the factory, and add a pair of universal wings from Willy Ader in Germany to upgrade to MX-7-180B. The engine will go to LyCon next month. I have a spare (standard) prop, but I’m tempted to fit another MT or a Hartzell composite. I’m not fond of painting (and sanding runs) so I’ll cover the fuselage with Oratex fabric. At 1,470 lbs empty, SA had put a fair bit of weight on since leaving the factory, so I’ll see how much of that we can lose.

Over the years I’ve enjoyed following Yellowmaule’s resurrection of the Peril and freedom’s M5 project, so I’ll try to return the favour by posting some photos of the SA upgrade process - in between inevitable requests for help and advice.

Just to test whether I can upload photos, here are a couple of shots of my hangar, with SA and a friend’s Husky in the background. In the foreground is a funny French wood and fabric aeroplane (a Jodel D140 Mousquetaire), which is standing in for the MX-7 (and obviously slowing the rebuild process by tempting me to go flying whenever the weather is nice).

MX-7-180 N280SA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Making SA great again (MX-7-180 upgrade)

Post by Andy Young »

What did they quote you for a fuselage?

Oddly enough, I have a little bit of time in a Mousquetaire. Flew one out of Courchevel, France. Believe it or not, it is one of the most popular ski planes in Europe. Or at least France and Switzerland...

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Yes, it’s pretty close to performance of a MX-7-235 at altitude, albeit with just four cylinders and a fixed prop, and like a Maule it has 4/5 seats and cavernous load capacity up to 2,650 lbs. Take off run is longer but it climbs fast once airborne and handling is sweeter (the ailerons are more effective).

The “Mouss” is well established as THE alpine workhorse, but feels very “French” - like a period Citroen car - not at all unpleasant.
MX-7-180 N280SA

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Hi, good luck with your project.
It is a monumental work what you have ahead, but when all the spares start to get together it all gets paid back.

I also have a friend with a Jodel in my hangar.
Where are you based in UK? I come for business more or less every other week.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Yes, it feels like when I started carving my runway out of a bumpy, rocky, field - the feeling that I may have bitten off more than I can chew. A friend said diplomatically, looking at the piles of broken bedrock “Peter, you’ve set yourself a gritty task”. But we got the runway done, eventually...

We’re in south west Scotland, just across the border from England. Look for the airfield “Glenswinton” on Garmin Pilot or SkyDemon or whatever - www.glenswinton.co.uk

You’re welcome here any time, but we’re a bit off the beaten track. In view of current public transport travel restrictions, I can perhaps more easily fly and meet somewhere more “civilised”.
MX-7-180 N280SA

Zoller

Post by Zoller »

Dang! haven't been on the forum for a while. And now, dropping back in, I learn you have the same problem I have...a grounded Maule :?
I feel with you and hope you get along with the repairs quickly.
Seems we both have to rely on wooden low wingers for a while to get into the air. Your Mouscetaire is definitely more capable than our Klemm 107, though.
Hope we can finally meet this summer somewhere in Europe.
------------------------------------------------------
"...We're out of beer, Victor!!..."

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I'm sorry for the grounded planes, but it makes a man smile to learn there are low life deplorable Maule owners all over the world. :D 8) :D
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Zoller

Post by Zoller »

Hahah lowlife deplorable...Yes! indeed !
But guess what, here in my neck of the woods, Maules are mostly unheard of. Let alone those with mentionable displacement behind the prop. Heck, some people even think I’m posh :mrgreen: :lol:
------------------------------------------------------
"...We're out of beer, Victor!!..."