Airframe Insulation

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Airframe Insulation

Post by Andy Young »

I know this general topic has been discussed before, but I have a fairly specific question:

Has anybody in a cold climate ever removed all of their insulation, and if so, how much colder was it?

I’m interested in getting rid of mine to prevent future corrosion issues, but hate to lose what has been a VERY warm airplane, even in very cold weather.

Years ago, I removed all the insulation under the floor, and noticed zero difference in warmth or noise. I’d now like to at least get rid of everything in the side walls. I’m considering keeping all the insulation up top, including the stuff on the sides down as far as the bottom of the headliner; basically, all the insulation that was packed around the headliner. I haven’t seen any corrosion issues up there, so I think that would be safe, though if someone tells me they’ve dropped it all, and still been plenty warm, I’d consider getting rid of all of it.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Re: Airframe Insulation

Post by Maule988ms »

I just did that very thing. Mice decided to make the headliner a bathroom and the smell really took the fun out of it. So early thus spring i got ambitious and gutted the plane. Took everything but the wings root areas out and plan on doing that when the fairings are off next annual. It is a little louder but not bad. Just flew yesterday and it was the coldest yet at 30 degrees and my wife and i both commented on how there is no difference and i still havent fixed some airleaks around the doors. Found 3 dead mice, a bunch of nuts and a little rubber ducky that now adorns our dash. I would do it again. I should say i also installed the atlee dodge mufflers and they are supposed to make a little better heat. Maybe that helps to, i dunno

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I had all the insulation removed in 2005 when I had my airframe recovered. I spent the energy on making the heat system more efficient and added another heat muff. I fly at -20F without gloves on.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks guys,

That’s very useful and encouraging info. I’m going to leave all of my insulation out, and see how it is.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Hey Andy.

YELLOWMAULE and I left all the insulation out of our planes during our rebuilds and we fly year-round in Alaska. Works for us. Biggest thing we have noticed is getting the drafts under control. Looks like you are going for a full recover? Can’t wait to see it next year!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks. Yes, full re-cover, plus a few mods. Look forward to showing it to you.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Andy, are you going to start a rebuild page for us?
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

wtxdragger wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:23 pm
Probably not, unfortunately. I’m on a tight timeline for this project, so I’m currently putting in 10-12 hours a day, seven days a week on the plane. That doesn’t leave a lot of time and energy to write a good rebuild thread. I’ll try to take some photos as I go, so maybe I can put something together afterwards, or if I get more breathing room later on in the project.

I’ll throw in a fun photo here, showing the way I towed it from my hangar to the welding shop.

Stumpwater

Post by Stumpwater »

Andy Young wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:22 pm
wtxdragger wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:23 pm

I’ll throw in a fun photo here, showing the way I towed it from my hangar to the welding shop.

Woah! Cool, good luck. What will you recover with? My plane had a thorough dose of black foam insulation, and I removed most everything (before I flew it, so I can't compare) from the belly and lower sides because it seemed to keep certain areas moist after rain. It wasn't worth the corrosion risk to me. Plus it is some weight. The front is toasty, but I did have a rear passenger at roughly freezing temps the other day report it was sufficiently warm but not toasty. I think a redirection of the heat would be more effective than the insulation had been though. The "rear" heat just blows upwards under the co pilot seat.
Shiloh

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

A Honda CT 70 . Wow that really brings back the memories I wanted a Honda XR 75 so bad back in the day but mom said it just looks too fast ,wound up with a CT 70 . Beat walking purity well just barely beat the bicycle. That was a long time ago, thanks for jogging the memories
The best Government, is less Government.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

VA Maule wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:29 pm
A Honda CT 70 . Wow that really brings back the memories I wanted a Honda XR 75 so bad back in the day but mom said it just looks too fast ,wound up with a CT 70 . Beat walking purity well just barely beat the bicycle. That was a long time ago, thanks for jogging the memories
I put a 125cc engine in it, so now it will go 50 mph with two people aboard (I also put on rear foot pegs). And it fits in the Maule.

bentmettle

Post by bentmettle »

Andy Young wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:43 pm
I put a 125cc engine in it, so now it will go 50 mph with two people aboard (I also put on rear foot pegs). And it fits in the Maule.
girlfriend just asked "Will our mountain bikes fit into a Maule?"

I show her your photo and say "If not, we can get a Trail 70 instead and cruise 2 up" :D

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

...Or an XR250