Oil Pressure Needle

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Oil Pressure Needle

Post by Green Hornet »

Occasionally my oil pressure gage needle vibrates excessively. It remains in the green but it is vibrating. Any inputs as to what the issue is or if it is an issue. Like I said it doesn't do it all the time just periodically.
Thanks in Advance
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Do you think the needle is vibrating or the oil pressure is fluctuating?

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I think the needle is vibrating because it hovers all around the same point in the green.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

It sound like the gauge needs to be replaced, if so, take a look at multi function gauge by EI. We have spoken about these gauges before and the warning lite is valuable. I have not looked lately, but I think you can use one gauge for many functions.
If you ever loose engine oil pressure in flight the chances of you seeing the needle drop before the engine explodes is probably 1 in a 1000. With the idiot lite you can't miss it.

mauleace

Gauges

Post by mauleace »

I had a regulator and over voltage regulator that were failing. The result was unreliable voltage and lots of spikes. That was causing all kind of other intermittant electrical problems. While you are checking out the oil pressure gauge, get a volt meter and check the voltage. Should be steady from 13.8 V to 14.2.

Also watch the ammeter. If you can see any fluctuation, I would look at changing the regulator. I got a Zeftronics unit with the OVR and light function built in. Voltage is within 1/10th of a volt and the ammeter is steady.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm probably confusing airplanes because I bounce back and forth between a half dozen different ones that I maintain, but isn't the oil pressure gauge direct reading? If it is it could either be air in the line or the orifice in the line is too large, or of course a bad gauge.

mauleace

Post by mauleace »

a64pilot wrote:I'm probably confusing airplanes because I bounce back and forth between a half dozen different ones that I maintain, but isn't the oil pressure gauge direct reading? If it is it could either be air in the line or the orifice in the line is too large, or of course a bad gauge.
You are correct, I checked my M5 today and it is a mechanical gauge.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge