door seal

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

door seal

Post by SkyMaule »

One guy said his maule is like a screened in porch. I can relate. What have you guys found works to seal doors? And, besides wing roots, where else needs attention to get a warmer cabin?
1975 Maule M5-210C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I went to the local auto parts store and found 2 varieties of seals that looked right and fitted them as necessary.

Took some time to get it right, but BIG improvement. I tacked the desired seal in place first with painters masking tape to check the fit, then if it was right, peeled the seal's adhesive back and applied.

As mentioned in previous posts, the aft baggage rear liner is a major source of draft. I've just duct taped around the edge of the whole thing for now and will come up with something better later on.

Kirk

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Many companies make this stuff.
ACE hardware "Weatherstrip" Closed Cell. Start with part number 57625. This is 1/8 thick you may need some 1/4 thick. You can also use a wider product.
I prefer a tinner product as it compresses easier in the areas that are tight. Stick to the door frame after you clean surface with Berrymans or strong cleaner.
You can close the door and take a felt marker and place markings around the frame for the close and wide areas that need weatherstrip. If the top front part of your frame is the widest or leaks the most you may need to use thicker product. Use the minimum thickness as possible and go fly it. It does not take much to play havoc on closing the door.

TomD
100+ Posts

Door gasket

Post by TomD »

Maule actually makes a very effective door gasket, but once I put it on my M5 the doors were a real bear to close.

Air leaks at the doors were stopped but that just changed the direction of the gale.

TD

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

On really cold days, I carry a 3" wide roll of painters tape and have the back seat passenger plug the holes as they are found. Effective, just crude.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

OK, I haven't flown in real cold wx, but mine is not drafty, and the heaters will run you out, but my entire interior has been replaced, and my wing roots sealed with aluminum duct tape. Maule I'm sure doesn't make the seals. Matter of fact, I've seen rolls and rolls of the stuff at Lowe's.

TomD
100+ Posts

Door gasket

Post by TomD »

On the bright side the drafts minimize the chance of Carbon Monoxide poisoning :lol:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I have been sOOOOOOO cold I could barely go to the rest room, something was half frozen.
The Maule heater is for the south not the north or high altitude.
I think some of you have a more "drafty" problem than I.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I habve the dual heater option (at least it was an option on the 4's) With the plates below the seat the front seats are great. Proven to -25, below that it's quits for flying. The back seat gets drafty when the speed slows and you start manuvering like you would in the pattern. While at speed, it's not too bad back there. BTW, that's second hand info never having riden in back. Maybe I just don't notice the grimaces........

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

When you do your annual, duck tape your wing root top and bottom so that no air/water gets in. On the upper area it will take three strips to completely cover the gap and each year you will need to replace. This also gives the metal plate (don't know the name) something to rub against instead of the fabric.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

210TC wrote:When you do your annual, duck tape your wing root top and bottom so that no air/water gets in. On the upper area it will take three strips to completely cover the gap and each year you will need to replace. This also gives the metal plate (don't know the name) something to rub against instead of the fabric.
On mine it's with the aluminum duct tape that can be bought almost anywhere. That stuff is water tight. And of course it has to be removed every annual to inspect the wing attach points.