Tailwheel Cap

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Vince Massimini

Tailwheel Cap

Post by Vince Massimini »

Hi Everyone:

I have an SFS-P8B pneumatic tail wheel that is "centering" about 75 degrees off the aircraft axis. I need to open the tailwheel cap and see what is up.

However, I can't seem to get the tailwheel cap off. I have firmly tapped it, tried to pry it with a screwdriver, and have tried to rotate it with channel locks. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to remove the cap?

Stay well and best

Vince
Vince Massimini
Kentmorr Airpark (3W3)

andy
Site Admin

Re: Tailwheel Cap

Post by andy »

The circlip has to come off first. I assume you already did that. If not, then put a flat head screwdriver under the slightly upward bent end and pry it out. I think using a suction cup camera mount is the easiest way to get the hubcap off without bending it. If you don't have that, then you'll have to pry one spot out enough to get the screwdriver under it and pop the hubcap off. When you put it back on, take special care to get the circlip securely tapped into the grove in the rim, otherwise you'll lose both the next time you land.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Sorry if I was talking about the wrong item. If you're trying to get the cap on top of the tail wheel off, it pries off with a small flat head screwdriver unless it's stuck.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Forgot to mention that you should take a hard look at the tail leaf spring and bracket that holds it to the tubing. If you have the old Maule bolts, straps and spacers, one or more bolts might be loose or bent. I'm a big fan of the Alaskan Bushwheels heavy duty tail spring and bracket. The leaf spring can't move around very easily with that arrangement and it's a stronger 1-3/4" wide spring. Of course the fitting on the tail wheel housing has to accommodate the wider spring.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Vince Massimini

Andy:

OK. Thank you. I am talking about the tailwheel cap (not the hubcap). I'll give it another try.

Best

Vince
Vince Massimini
Kentmorr Airpark (3W3)

Vince Massimini

Andy:

I got the cap off. Had to persuade it which some taps of a chisel plus a large pair of water-pump pliers. It finially came of with no damage.

Thank you.

Best

Vince
Vince Massimini
Kentmorr Airpark (3W3)

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Now, don't overgrease the mechanism on reassembly and carefully select correct shims for bearing preload. Tightening the swivel pin nut doesn't set the preload properly. If it was shimmying, usually its the leaf spring and steering spring setup, But it can also be the clutch pressure springs are tired or broken.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide