Maule Paint System?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Maule Paint System?

Post by Hale-Yes »

My MT 7, a 2001 vintage, is covered in the original Ceconite and was painted by Maule with what I think is polyurethane paint, in the Civil Air Patrol paint scheme. Does any one know for sure what paint system Maule was using on the CAP planes in 2001? I want to repaint it, to change the color and paint scheme. The 19 year old fabric is in very good condition (as is the paint) with just a few tape seams that have lifted slightly for one or two inches in a couple of places. I have read that prepping to repaint after a polyurethane paint job, if indeed that is what it is, can be a real chore and take a lot of time, but if it’s doable in a way that results is a good quality paint job, I can afford the time. I was quoted $17,500. (and higher) to repaint it in Arizona.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Re: Maule Paint System?

Post by Mountain Doctor »

My 2002 was painted in urethane. I know that Maule changed the paint system a couple years prior to that. Earlier Maules had the paint fall off but the later system seems to hold up very well.

I have also had tape edge (not seam) separation. Multiple attempts at gluing it down failed and I went to 3M clear 1" helicopter tape a few years ago and it's help up perfectly.

The darker colors cause heat related failures in the sun exposed surfaces. I have since purchased and been using horizonal stabilizer covers if I park it in the sun for more than a little while.

Hope this helps.

Bill
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Thanks, that's good information. I would still like to know witch paint system Maule used because that would inform me as to the correct procedure and materials to repaint it.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I received a call back from Maule today regarding the paint that they used on my plane at the time it was built, 2001. The primer was AirTech, it is a polyurethane, The top coat paint was U-Tech with a flex agent added, it was also polyurethane. I will be studying these materials so that I can follow there recommendations on repainting.

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Hale-Yes,

Have you painted yet? I missed your post earlier....
I repainted a 1976 M5 in 1997 when it was 21 years old, 22 years ago. I wanted to get rid of the black on the top engine cowl, and the red on the lower fuselage. I removed the wings + doors. The wings and doors were stripped and taken to an automotive paint shop I know well. I sanded most of the black and red on the fuselage with a fine grit, just to provide adhesion for the new paint. (original fabric). Sanding fabric should only be done by hand to protect it. I painted the fuselage myself in our workshop with paint mixed for me by the body shop. (paint booth could not fit fuselage) The fuselage paint was applied direct, no primer. Proper primer was used on all aluminum surfaces by the body shop.
the paint used at the time was a Sikkens auto paint product with flex agents. It was just under $200/litre. This paint has held up well, aircraft is always hangared. I was not concerned with what system the factory used prior to starting the painting, largely because the paint was cracked and fading.
This image was taken a few days ago. You cant judge the quality of a paint job from a photo, of course, but I think this paint/fabric will last about another 10 years before it needs to be re-covered.
[url=https://postimg.cc/Hc20V4P9][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Hc20V4P9/IMG-7007.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

No, I have not painted yet. We are prepping now that the temperatures are cool enough to allow for working in the hanger. I am following a plan very much as you have outlined. We have stripped the wings and cowling with a very hot high pressure washer. It's time consuming, but doesn't require any caustic material that I may not be able to remove from inside the wings. Sanding the fabric is not much fun. There is still lots to do, but I am taking my time and breaking the job down in to small bites. Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.