Servicing Oleo Struts on M5 first time since new 1977 ???

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

maulem5210c

Servicing Oleo Struts on M5 first time since new 1977 ???

Post by maulem5210c »

When the Oleo Struts are off, what did you do to keep the plane up? Chain from the top oleo attachment to bottom oleo attachment?
Just leave it hanging from the engine mount or top rings?
other idea's?
I'm putting in the new style of springs and will need to have the oleo's off for a week or so, to get the Pistons and Bushings machined down to the correct dimensions, New O-Rings with spares for cutting the first ones, and of course new bolt kit from Alaska Bush Wheel going on.

Alan
1977 M5-210c (upgrading for back country fun)
Building RV-8

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I use chain from top mount to bottom, and chain from bottom of left gear to bottom of right, just as a back-up (because I’m paranoid).

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I use an engine hoist to pick up from the motor mount. I did one side at a time and used the 2x4 under the wing strut method of safety.
No great story started with a good idea...

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I should clarify that I also use an engine hoist or overhead hoist to lift the plane by the engine mount to work on the gear. The chain thing is for when I need to leave it for some period with the gear off. That way I’m not relying on the hoist to hold it long-term, and can move it around the shop to allow work on other things while I wait for parts or whatever.