Maule SL-61 Door bolts

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

drak130 wrote:Stinger,

Yup, came across that one as well. Had just taken delivery of airplane and oil temps were just below red line. Did a bunch of trouble shooting and replaced the vernatherm before I came across that Service Letter. In the process of putting in a CGR-30 engine monitor and should be done this week. I will let you know how much the temp drops now that the probe is in the right spot.

Tim
In cruise at 115mph where the OAT is 70 degrees and the RPM is 25-2600, my oil temperature has been around 210 degrees. Little more, little less, depending on other factors. Haven't been too concerned about it other than keeping an eye on the temperature since the redline is at 240.

I just discovered that Service Letter two weeks ago and it's been nice knowing that the oil temp I've been seeing is a higher reading than it really is.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Jeremy,

yeah I guess that was a dumb request without providing enough info. I am flying a 1998 M7-235C.

I have printed out all the applicable SBs and SLs. I have gone through them all and you are right, most are self evident that they are important (SL-59 elevator struts and SL-74 gear bolts). From this forum I hear gather that the exhaust system can be problematic so SB-23 should receive attention. Others that look important:

SB-24 Brake Cylinder Brackets
SL-64 Forward Elevator Bellcrank inspection
SL-71 Parking Brake Adjustment/Inspection
SL-73 8.5 Tire Contact

Like you said, most are just an inspection and I would assume that an annual would catch this stuff but not seeing specific compliance notations in the logbooks.

Any other areas that you see overlooked on a semi-regular basis?

Tim

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Ok Tim, now you've gone and asked it ;
Here is my take, If the airplane is new to you and/or new to your mechanic, even if an annual is not due....
There is no way to know which SBs and SLs have been accomplished, pencil whipped, or perfunctorily glanced at (yup looks ok)
So, look at them All, update the complied with list and know what you have.
All those you mention, and SBs 7, 9, 12,14, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 28, 30, 34.
SLs 55, 59, 61, 63, 64, 66, 71, 73, 74.
The problem is that you don't know if a muffler for instance is the right one, or has been welded by who, does it have baffles in place, is it mounted correctly, attach bolts slack etc. Only way to tell is remove tailpipes and look inside.
Non of this is too expensive but could be if it has not been addressed, for instance #12. #66 can let you down hard at the NEXT landing.
I have been flying and selling these Maule's since 1975 and its hard to imagine some of the lucky flying collections of parts I have come across.
Its your plane now, so start with a clean slate is my advice.
This is not intended to sound harsh, but common sense.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thanks Jeremy,

Makes sense. At my age I get the feeling that my luck bag is getting kind of thin.

As I go through the books your suggestion of starting clean seems to be the vector I need to be on. Just needed another shove. Thanks for shoving!

Tim