Fuel Stain Removal?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Fuel Stain Removal?

Post by Old Piper »

Any great ideas for removal of 100 Octane blue stain from Tan Headliner?

Just airing out has left stain. :?:

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I’ve heard wetting it again with more 100LL then blotting it with a clean towel works. I need to try the same with some sidewall leather after a leak as well. Vinegar is supposed to be another option. It may have a different after you’re done but at least it won’t get bluer if it doesn’t work like the 100LL.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Fuel staining of headliners usually come from one source.
If it is leaks of fuel lines or sending units it does not get to the headliner.
If the inboard fuel cap gasket is worn or cracked or if the fuel cap contacts the top skin or the screws, the cap cannot seal properly.
If the tip tank transfer pump is left running too long it will overflow the inboard main tank.
If the flow valve in the aux transfer pump is leaking, fuel can transfer because of dihedral.
If you have the later fuel tank vent line system and the valve at the T junction is gummed up fuel will flow because of dihedral or sloped ramp, from the aux tank to main tank and overflow it, then the the fuel exits through cap seal or cap vent and flows backward and inboard from where it can make its way through the wing/fuselage fairing.
There is supposed to be tape joining top of fuselage to wing root to prevent ingress of air, fuel, and rain or water from washing.
Many aircraft do not get re-taped after the annual inspection .

Just some points for consideration.
I have found that fuel will remove blue staining but not brown varnish from painted surfaces but don't know if it will remove from headliner, but worth a try for sure.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Fuel Stain Removal?

Post by Old Piper »

Thanks for the info. I tried to repeat the stain on a scrap pc. of headliner, to use as test pc. for type of removal, but can't seem to duplicate to get to "Blue".

I"ll gingerely test a small spot tonight on headliner.

This maybe a calamity of issues that brought this on. Flying for 45-yrs, had an oops.
Let FBO fill tank. Seldom ever done.
Wasn't present when filled. 1st. Time, and last!
Parked plane w/o flying after, thus possible tank migration, although had fuel selector valve on Left.
Possible migration from Ext. Tank, if pump valve not sealing tight.
Fuel cap issues not present.
Checked tank sending unit seals and hoses, no leaks near wing root or hoses to fuel lines to fuselage.

Blue fuel stain above cargo door a few inches back to corner.

I'll let you know on progress.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Tom
Thanks,
Tom

I

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Formula 409 spray cleaner cuts blue stains well. I follow it up with soap and water just to get any residual off.

Had a hangar mate call one of the paint manufacturers to ask them if it was harmful to the paint. They told him it shouldn’t be a problem if you follow it up with a wash off to be on the safe side.

Kirk

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Fuel Stain Removal?

Post by Old Piper »

Well, I tried White Camping Gas, thinking the 100LL Av Gas would only keep putting more "Blue" on the fabric. It didn't touch it, with wetting, soaking, and trying to pull away with cloth, absorbing back out. I tried a strong Cleaning Wipe which takes Grease off easily hands/tools, no progress.

I"ll try the Formula 409 next, with a wash out afterwards. Thanks Kirk!

Any one else with suggestions?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Give break cleaner a try if the 409 doesn't get it out. It's basically dry cleaning fluid, only concern is that it might soften the contact cement that secures the fabric to the trim pieces if you soak it down too much where it's glued.
The best Government, is less Government.

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Fuel Stain Removal?

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy all,

I tried Whie Gas, cooking stove fuel, without color, no change.
I tried 409, w/lemon, no change on getting stain out, but smells better!

I`ll try the brake cleaner on a scrap pc. of headliner first, as I think it may cause a stain.

Alright old timers, think back, there must be a trick to this remedy out there somewhere?
:idea:

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

fuel leak source fuel tank filler neck cracked, have found many of them, one of the causes is the large fueling nozzles twisting the filler neck.
TimB