Adjusting M5 flaps

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

CRAZEDpilot

Adjusting M5 flaps

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

So, YES I have read all the posts on here about adjusting the flaps and on the surface the M5 flaps seem pretty easy to adjust given it's design and lack of cable tensions.

Before I get to the hangar I simply wanted to get some verification - my problem is on the ground i pull the flaps on to 20deg and they deflect correctly, verified with a digital anglefinder.

PROBLEM is i didn't realize until i started flying that with the drag they pull themselves back to about 5-10% degrees.

What is the best METHOD for adjusting this loss out of my flaps? 40deg works perfectly.

Do I just loosen to a zero point, and set it - or do i need to use a pair of pliers (or a friend on pliers) to pull some pre-tension into the cable before setting the zero point?? Just wanted to find out the official method to resolve my problem in the interest of time and headaches.

Thanks!
-Brendan

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread.

Here's Jeremy's April 21, 2007 post on the subject of flap speeds. If you go faster than these, the flaps will likely retract some.
maules.com wrote:For the sake of your flap mechanism think 90, 80, 70mph max speeds for lowering 24, 40, 48deg flaps. The 48deg will reach full down at 55mph if adjusted correctly and if not too much elevater trim is applied, will still provide a flare. The approach will be steeper which is what you want, you just have to get used to a different view.
I slow to 60 mph before starting my descent and apply 24 degrees on downwind, 40 degrees on base and 48 degrees on final. Normally, I keep the airspeed at 60 mph for the entire landing but if I want to land shorter, I use a final approach speed of 55 mph. Obviously, this only applies to a normal pattern, not a back country airstrip.

This doesn't answer your question about how to adjust the flaps, but even if you adjust them, the settings may not hold if you exceed these airspeeds.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Jeremy has written several good posts here on the forums on how to rig your flaps as well as what to check in the system to remove any wear/slop that prevents full deflection in flight. Just do a search for flap adjustment. Hope that helps

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

I only found explanations on the M7...... but finally found this link:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... adjustment

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Any luck with your flaps? I am about to start down the same path to see if I can restore my flap deployment angles.

I've had a suspicion that I am not getting the full effect because I've been coming in a little shallower and hotter lately than I am used to.

I lowered my flaps in the hangar and stuck blue and green masking tape on the fuselage next to the flap at the same angle at each notch and went flying with a camera mounted on the tie-down ring looking in. At various speeds I can see I am losing a ton of flap, even down to 55 mph so I have some work to do.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Brought forward from other link.

"If you are flying an M4 or M5, it is not spring tension that prevents correct flap angles, it is slop and slack in the whole system.
The only springs are flap up return springs though these do get stretched and need replacement if so.
The flaps should be adjusted via the pushrod in wing to set the bottom of the flap flush with wing bottom during upward hand pressure. Do not use wingroot fairing or ailerons as a measure.
Set cable tension with turnbuckle to eliminate any slack and just start to take action on the flap.
Tighten the bell crank bracket and check the pivot holes for slop. Rebush the bellcrank (a common culprit)
If you want effective flap, remove the gust lock mechanism and link the cable directly to the bellcrank, plus fix a stop cable from the aft pushrod attach bolt to a clamp on the hinge post allowing the flap full deflection but not more.
When you are done and your flap lever is set 40 degrees on the ground you should get 40 degrees measured angle when you have a force placed against the down flap equivalent to an 80mph wind.
Accept no less and you will be astounded at the difference in performance.
By far the majority of M5 and M4 flaps are sadly out of tolerance which is sad to see, and the vreason many of the Maules are not living up to their reputation."
Addendum: There is slop also at the flap handle pivot, at the curved ratchet pivot, at the pawl, potentially at a pulley(5 of) .
I have found bushings missing from the ratchet mechanism which allows slop.
Tune it all up and check every item along the way from push button to flap hinges, and you should have effective flaps for short landings.
The book tells you to deploy flaps at 90 but common sense tells us that is a max speed and only for the first notch. Each subsequent notch have a max of 10mph less.