Screw loose!

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Screw loose!

Post by drak130 »

Hello All,

New to me 1998 M7, annual came with sale but apparently the screws were not tightened on the strut to wing fairings. Had a couple fall out on todays flight and all were discovered to be loose. Any idea on the size and material (SS/CAD)? AS sells size 4,6 and 8 but as a newbie the numbers mean nothing to me.

Thanks
Tim

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Probably a good idea to get a small supply of stainless sheet metal screws about 1/2" long sizes 4 & 6 maybe few 8's too. They tend to fall out on their own since the metal they go into is so thin the slightest over torque and the hole is expanded / stripped and needs an up size if the smaller won't tighten up. A little dab of blue Lock Tight will help whole lot to keep them from departing the airplane prematurely and also not require the amount of torque that strips them out.
The best Government, is less Government.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Great advice! Thank you.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I have a '79 so a few of the holes in some of the metal fairings are up to #10 and probably will be #12 in a few more annuals. Mostly are the wing stut at the fuselage fairings.

Anyway, I have a plastic organizer dedicated to aircraft hardware and if you help with maintenance you will too. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Oh and if you're ordering from AS might as well grab their cotter pin assortment as well, used to be just a few bucks. Doors, front seats, tailwheel, etc all need pins, at least on mine.