MX7-180A fixed pitch spinner

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Hobohiker

MX7-180A fixed pitch spinner

Post by Hobohiker »

Im working on an MX7-180A that uses the Sensenich fixed pitch prop. The front spinner bulkhead is cracked and I’m in need of something else. Neither Maule or Sensenich carries these spinners anymore. What are people using for replacements these days? I’d change out the whole spinner to something else if someone could point me in a better direction. Is there anything out there that will last more than a few hundred hours before needing replacement? The old one had 800 hours and it sounds like that may have been a lot for these bulkheads as they are prone to cracking anyway.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Exact same problem as me, with around 800 hours on it as well. Just recently took delivery of a Spinner Kit from Vans Aircraft. Know a guy with the same issue that changed his out with one from Vans.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Maule should do the right thing

Post by VA Maule »

I've had the same problem.
I actually tracked down the company that did the aluminum spinning for Sensenich and had nice conversation with the owner about the possibility of him reproducing the spinners & backing plates . He said he'd be glad to produce at least 10-12 sets at a time what would equate to a day's production of one employee. I passed that information along to Maule ( even had several emails back and forth) Maule said NOT INTERESTED ( at least one decision maker did) maybe a different more concerned about their customers DECISION MAKERS might get wind of this opportunity to do THE RIGHT THING @ the cost that I bought out his " new old stock " to keep mine flying Maule could obtain a day's production quantity for LESS THAN $ 4,000 and that's a mighty little bit in airplane dollars, and even less considering it would be DOING THE RIGHT THING.
The best Government, is less Government.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Alrighty guys & gals just like last time this came up I've gotten PMs asking for whom the spinner spinner is and how to contact him, please please put your requests on the open forum for Maule to see and hopefully DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!.
Not trying to be difficult just working towards what would be the greater good so in the future when someone calls Maule looking for one it's likely to be in stock and ready to ship

Maybe if Maule won't GET RIGHT maybe Airframes Alaska or Atle Dodge might see fit to make arrangements to handle these parts as they are ' In the Business '

Hobohiker

Post by Hobohiker »

I’m kinda new to the game here as I have only recently owned a Maule. I’ve owned nothing but spam cans up till now. I know this topic of spinners has come up in the past without much support from the Maule factory or from Sensenich. I too have tracked down the company that originally manufactured the spinners for Sensenich/Maule (if it’s the same one that VAMaule makes mention of) and as of 2/18/2020, they are Not interested in making the parts anymore unless there was a design change that leads to a longer lasting product. So, that leads me to find alternative solutions. I like the RV spinner idea but don’t see how this is legal as an owner produced part cause it doesn’t match the original, same material, different shape. I’ve seen guys use a carbon fiber replacement, but again, it’s not original material. Does anyone have a 337 field approval for what they have done to put a different spinner on their plane? How about going no spinner?

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Hobohiker wrote:I’m kinda new to the game here as I have only recently owned a Maule. I’ve owned nothing but spam cans up till now. I know this topic of spinners has come up in the past without much support from the Maule factory or from Sensenich. I too have tracked down the company that originally manufactured the spinners for Sensenich/Maule (if it’s the same one that VAMaule makes mention of) and as of 2/18/2020, they are Not interested in making the parts anymore unless there was a design change that leads to a longer lasting product. So, that leads me to find alternative solutions. I like the RV spinner idea but don’t see how this is legal as an owner produced part cause it doesn’t match the original, same material, different shape. I’ve seen guys use a carbon fiber replacement, but again, it’s not original material. Does anyone have a 337 field approval for what they have done to put a different spinner on their plane? How about going no spinner?
There's an STC for a carbon fiber spinner, but it's $7200 last I saw.
Removing the spinner would work fine in theory, just would have to keep an eye on your engine temperatures; however the spinner is required equipment in the Maule parts list so you're going to hit a roadblock finding an IA to sign that off.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Re: MX7-180A fixed pitch spinner

Post by VA Maule »

Alrighty DavZee this post is for you :

I had occasion to speak with Brent Maule a few days ago concerning a thread I started “Taxman Cometh” ( maybe someone far more computer savvy than me can make a linkup to the other thread)

In the corse of our conversation Brent shared that they had obtained some backing plates. I asked about spinners and he said “regrettably no , don’t know and can’t find out who subcontracted to make them for Sensenich “ I said “ This gonna make your day! I spoke with the gentleman and subsequently bought all of his small remaining new old stock ( No not gonna part with any of it) but he shared that he’d gladly produce a day’s production run but not any one offs “ . Gave Brent his contact information and Brent said that he’d do his best to make a deal with the fellow.

So it certainly sounds like Maule is gonna do the right thing adopt these orphaned Sensenich parts. If you have any of the 180A versions give Brent @ the Maule Factory {. NOT Maule Flight. }. a call to let him know just how much demand there is for these parts

Initially I shared the spinning subcontractor’s information with the parts people and ether didn’t get high enough up the chain of command or they figured since Sensenich said no they didn’t pursue it any further . Think I got the information to the top of command this time and he’s gonna do the right thing and make a deal with the metal spinning subcontractor