M5 Windshield

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

maulem5210c

M5 Windshield

Post by maulem5210c »

Thinking of replacing my M5 clear windshield with a gray tinted one when I remove it to put in the new carbon fiber glare shield and replace the headliner. The question is this Cee Baileys or GreatLakes Aero?
1977 M5-210c (upgrading for back country fun)
Building RV-8

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Tented Windshield

Post by Hale-Yes »

I don't have any experience with Cee Baileys so I can't say, I bought my tented windshield from Great Lakes. They were great to deal with.

Partsandplanes

Tinted or non tinted

Post by Partsandplanes »

Doing a full restoration on my 1980 M5 235C and will be replacing the windshield as well. What are anyones thoughts on going with a gray tinted (light) vs a clear?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have a tinted windscreen, it’s pretty much impossible to tell.

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

what was the removal process like ? Anyone have photos or details on how to remove the window and install a new glareshield?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The windshield comes out easily. Going back in is another story. Plan on lots of fitting/trimming/fitting/trimming/fitting/ trimming... Be careful installing the screws in the door pillar as there are wires and fuel lines in there! Cant' say about the glare shield as i didn't have to remove mine. Kind of wish I had as I would have cleaned up the wiring while I was in there.

It would be a really good time to do an avionics upgrade... Just saying.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Hint first make a paper mask templet of the windshield before removal to aid in fitting of the new windshield
TimB