Fuel quantity

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

BUZZ

Fuel quantity

Post by BUZZ »

Looking for stick to stick my fuel tanks with. Does anybody know of a place to get them. Gal./in or dimensions of tanks would also be helpful although calculating gal/in might be challenging for awkward shaped tanks. I have an M5 with 21.5 gal tanks and also 11.5 tip tanks. Just looking for something I can reference fuel burn with till I'm more confident with what the plane actually burns.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I just got a piece of 1/2 inch square stock dowel and marked it. One side of the square stock is labeled MAIN and the opposite is labeled AUX. Completely empty the tanks and select LEFT or RIGHT on the fuel selector, but not BOTH or they will cross feed. Add fuel back to the tank in 5 gallon increments and stick the tank at each interval followed by marking and labeling the level on the dowel with a Sharpie. Once you've done both the main and the aux tanks, color the 2 blank sides of the dowel black with the sharpie. This give you a good contrast when wet. Put a layer of Clearcoat over the dowel to prevent the fuel from erasing the sharpie over time and your done.

Totol cost is less than $5 and if you lose it you just make another one with the remaining dowel that you did not use.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I just ues a paint stick ...

TomD
100+ Posts

fuel

Post by TomD »

Dowel or paint stick marked as described

But long enough that it will not fall into the tank.

I bought one of those universal testers that are a graduated plastic tube from a local pilot supply store and the stick works better.

Start w/ empty tanks on level ground and add fuel in 5 gal increments then mark the stick as frequently as you deem necessary.

TD

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

so do ya'll let the stick slide off at an angle and go tothe bottom of the tank or measure with it resting on the rib?
mark
mxt-180
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I just hold it vertical

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Re: fuel

Post by a64pilot »

TomD wrote:
But long enough that it will not fall into the tank.

TD
Never thought of that, but Murphy does have a vote, doesn't he.

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

Ok I guess I over thought on that one. I was thinking I could figure gal/in and then just mark the stick accordingly. But again the issue with awkward tank dimensions makes that near impossible unless math its deeply ingrained in your blood. Marking the stick as you fill is easy enough. Guess the only draw back is I'll have to empty my tanks. Oh well, thanks.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

BUZZ wrote: Guess the only draw back is I'll have to empty my tanks. Oh well, thanks.
Um...another excuse to fly... :wink: I do not see the drawback on this issue.