filling oleo strut

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Take a look at this. This is looking straight down in the tube where the spring sits. You can see a curved "dent" on the side wall of the metal. This is where the hydraulic fluid is leaking out and running down the inside of the other tube.

When I first opened up the oleo there was hydraulic fluid up to this dent. Hinting to me that there are no more leaks below that dent.

I think this was caused by the end of the last bolt that holds the spring assembly together.

===========
M5-210C
RV6

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Interesting, I believe one of my old Oleos had this same issue.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Strange. I've had mine apart and have not noticed this problem. I think I might have a seal leaking so I'll have a good look around in there and make sure this isn't happening. Do you have the new springs or the old?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

I've got the new spring.
crbnunit wrote:Strange. I've had mine apart and have not noticed this problem. I think I might have a seal leaking so I'll have a good look around in there and make sure this isn't happening. Do you have the new springs or the old?
===========
M5-210C
RV6