Skybeacon

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So from what I can tell, a test flight is not really required per se unless you want your rebate. Also, you don’t appear to have to follow any super strict guidelines for the flight either. Just turn the little guy on and fly. Try to record flight times start and stop on a few of your first flights and go to the FAA website to check that the unit is working properly prior to end of the year or flying into required airspace.

These are just my opinions based on my recent instal and how I interpret the mandate.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

flew it saturday 2+ hours--zero % fails!

BUT did ya'll know it has to be removed and inspected annually for its waterproofness? and did you know our mechanics are supposed to brief us on its use? and once installed you can NEVER fly with it off? That's what a rep from skybeacon told me last week.
mark
N-234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

cj8vet wrote:flew it saturday 2+ hours--zero % fails!

BUT did ya'll know it has to be removed and inspected annually for its waterproofness? and did you know our mechanics are supposed to brief us on its use? and once installed you can NEVER fly with it off? That's what a rep from skybeacon told me last week.
mark
N-234PP
According to the instructions for continued airworthiness, removal for inspection is not necessarily required. That rep may have been referring to the fact that you are required to inspect the wiring connectors every 12 months, which on many aircraft can be done through an inspection hole without removal.

Yes, your mechanic should brief you on the operation of anything they install on your aircraft.

Yes, per FAA regulations, any ADS-B-out system, once installed, must be operated 100% of the time that the aircraft is operated.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

The maintenance table won’t copy and paste well here, but it calls out a 12-month visual inspection. Here are the details of that inspection. Note that the third sentence says removal MAY be required:

8.4 Visual Inspection
Perform a visual inspection as detailed in this section. Check skyBeacon system components for damage or other defects and replace as required. Inspection may require the temporary removal of a unit to gain access to connectors. Follow guidance in User and Installation Guide for equipment removal and replacement. Refer to model specific Aircraft Maintenance Manual for instructions on removing access panels or covers, as required.
8.4.1 skyBeacon Visual Inspection
• Inspect the skyBeacon unit and verify it is securely mounted.
• Inspect the unit fasteners and verify they are properly torqued and
show no wear or damage. Additionally –
o Verify unit support structure is in good condition and its integrity
is not compromised.
o Inspect for corrosion and treat as required.
• Inspect the condition of the wiring.
o Verify that all wiring and cables are securely fastened.
o Verify that the harness shows no signs of cracking, chafing,
abrasion, melting, or any other form of damage.
o Inspect the skyBeacon connectors for corrosion, evidence of
moisture, or other defects.
• Confirm operation of the on-device failure annunciator.
8.4.2 LED Visual Inspection
The forward position light is designed with 3 red LEDs. The anti-collision light is designed with 4 white LEDs. If any one LED fails, the unit must be repaired or replaced.
Note: Use dark glasses or cover the device to ensure eye safety during LED inspection.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Removal for inspection would take all of 2 minutes at best. That said, I do t know an A&P that would bother. The connectors that come with the unit are waterproof/glue butt connectors, they will last 100years without issue.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

If it is removed, the O-rings on the screws should be replaced. That would be the issue with removal in most cases: having the O-rings on hand. Otherwise, you’d a be introducing a potential cause of leakage and corrosion in the unit.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

The following applies to the tailbeacon, not the skyBeacon.

O-rings? Mine did not have O-rings. The unit has a large rubber gasket that fits between the unit and the adapter flange. But it should not need to be replaced often if at all in the units lifetime unless the airplane sits outside rather than a hangar. Even then it should last a long time.