Skybeacon

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So I got a response back from Uavionix in about 18min via email regarding the ground on the Tailbeacon. They said the case of the Tailbeacon is a suitable ground and the black negative wire can be terminated without any connection. This is certainly handy. I may see how well this option holds up as I never had issue with my Nav light.

As for rudder rebalance, if yours is out to begin with then you might have an issue, but this thing weights in almost the same as the old metal and glass light I removed. Uavionix also addresses this in their Q&A section. Frankly, I get more weight in Mud on my elevators than this thing weights.

PC

Post by PC »

I have just finished installing the tailBeacon on my M5. It works great but my IA had to do a few changes. He fabricated a 1/2â€￾ plastic spacer designed to match the the tailBeacon metal locking ring. We also put a #4 terminal on the ground wire and put the tailBeacon screw thru the terminal. The spacer has a cutout for the #4 terminal so everything tightens up flush.
The IA is a dealer for uAvonics and is willing to fabricate the spacer if anyone is interested.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Why was the spacer required? We fit a 3D printed mockup without issue on an M5. Possibly due to the required twisting of the unit a 1/4 turn?

PC

Post by PC »

When we slid the unit in and then trying to lock it in place the fabric was to tight and it would bow out the fabric and create pressure points on the fabric.
Using a spacer created just enough room to not touch the fabric. I am sure every plane is a little different, this is what worked for me.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Mine bulges the fabric a bit while turning, but not when locked in. If you install while the fabric is warm then it shouldn’t hurt anything. My fabric is very pliable though and I didn’t have any issue.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Verdict is in on installation without ground wire. I flew for more than an hour on Sunday and got a perfect ADS-B score. Well, at least I didn’t have any red flags that is. Everything worked flawlessly and I can’t image an easier or cheaper way to be 2020 compliant.

elangenbach

Post by elangenbach »

Another +1 for a tailBeacon install (on an M-7-235C). Used a spacer and attached the ground wire to one of the mounting screws with a terminal. Verification flight went great.
Erik Langenbach
1999 M-7-235C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just to reiterate, the ground wire is not necessary per Uavionix. It’s great if you didnt have an issue, but I know on my M4 it would have been a pain to install the ground wire.

elangenbach

Post by elangenbach »

That's true, it was a bit of a pain...I'd probably skip it next time.
Erik Langenbach
1999 M-7-235C

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Test flight question--do I understand right that the test flight must originate (TO)and terminate(land) in a radar environment?
2ndly was kind of surprised the strobe doesn't work independently from nav anymore. and was told by Uavionix that it is illegal to fly with nav?skybeacon turned off-even low grass strip to low grass strip-hum.
mark
n234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hmm...
On my Skybeacon, the strobes are still on their same old independent switch. The SkyBeacon ADS function comes on and off with position lights, so those have to stay on, but I can turn the strobes on and off.

Perhaps installer hooked the unit power and strobe power wires together to the same source.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

so Andy,, you can turn skybeacon strobe ON, thru strobe switch, when Nav light switch is OFF? I guess it doesnt matter if I can't legally fly with Nav lights off anymore.
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Interesting question; I haven’t tried to do that. I have the nav light switch on all the time (that was true even before I put the SkyBeacon on).

I do know that with the nav light switch on, I can turn the strobe on and off.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Any comments on the test flight originating and ending in radar services? Can I just wait and turn on my Skybeacon when I am in radar coverage?
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I didn’t have a sky beacon but I did my test flight out of a non radar facility to another non radar facility. I wouldn’t wait to turn it on till airborne.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA