Skybeacon

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

On e they get the standard STC for a 172, we should all be good to fill out a 337 and send it in as a minor.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I doubt the M5 will ever be put on the STC. It is only an avionics replacement and I see no reason why a 337 referring to the STC procedures on another aircraft would not be acceptable, uAvionics has a sample that can be copied.

I'm waiting to hear if I can just jump a ground over the rudder hinge or need to get a ground wire down the rudder and into the fuselage, that could be a real pain if it needs to be grounded directly to the battery.

Ralph
akafrank

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

You should be able to use the old wire to pull the new wires through the rudder. I haven't tried this yet but there is a thread about installing a synchronized nav light system and the poster had to replace the original single wire with 3 as the tail fixture required power, ground, and a sync wire. I don't recall the outcome.
M5

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Using the old wire to fish the new one(s) may or may not be a viable option. Now we put a piece of tape on the wire above and below each rib. I'm not sure when that started.

Akafrank

Tail beacon

Post by Akafrank »

Just an update to my uAvionics tail beacon install.

I gave up. I had a mock up made on a 3 D printer using the inside dimensions I received from uAvionics. I simply could not find a way to to insert it into the existing mounting hole without substantial modification.

I received a refund minus $90 and purchased a Garmin 335 transponder with encoder. The install was straightforward but a real pain, airplanes are not designed to work on! The wiring was easy for the avionics geek I hired, impossible for the normal A & P.

It took 4 weeks trying but I finally got a returned rebate (1 pm Wednesday) and my verify flight worked last week, $500 on the way.

Anyway, good luck to all.

Ralph
akafrank

taildragger
100+ Posts

M?

Post by taildragger »

Hi,

Just to make sure, it is an M5 you could not get the tail beacon to work in? I thought I saw Uavionix list that it fits an M7. What is the difference between the 5 and 7? Thanks.

Scott

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

Yep, an M-5. I don't know the difference with an M-7.

Ralph
akafrank

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: M?

Post by Hottshot »

taildragger wrote:Hi,

Just to make sure, it is an M5 you could not get the tail beacon to work in? I thought I saw Uavionix list that it fits an M7. What is the difference between the 5 and 7? Thanks.

Scott
THe Rudder cord is different but mounting etc should be the same.

TimB
100+ Posts

skybecon

Post by TimB »

Fits in an M4 rudder with fabric just fine and test fit it in a M7 rudder without fabric and fits great, I will see how it fits a covered M7 rudder next week.
TimB

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Yes Wup, the difference in rudders is the M5 has a 13" cord and M7 has a 14.5" cord other wise they are the same, unless it has been damaged then it may not fit.
TimB

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Mine is shipping in the next day or two, I will let you guys know how it fits.

Akafrank

Tail beacon

Post by Akafrank »

I will be very interested to hear of anyone's results with the actual beacon. My 3D mockup was based on 1.121 inches.

Hi Ralph,

The actual dimension of the shipping product is 1.121" Depending on the aircraft the clearance hole may need to be enlarged.

david wagner
uAvionix Technical Support
support@uAvionix.com

Ralph
akafrank

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

PS I fit the New Tail beacon in both a M4 and a M7 rudder and had clearance on both.
TimB

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Sounds like AkaFranks plane might have something not quite kosher about it. I fully expect mine to fit, but I will report as soon as I know.

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

So.... there is no actual ground wire in the tail light to connect the tailbeacon black wire to.
The tailbeacon directions say... “OK to just ground to the mounting screw, but.... recommended to connect the tailbeacon black wire to the battery ground.â€￾ someone else in the thread says it MUST be run via wire back into the fuselage.
Has anyone just installed and grounded to the mounting screw or the rudder without going all the way back to the fuselage? Does it work?
Bill
1998 MX7-180C