M5 Charging System

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

mauleace

M5 Charging System

Post by mauleace »

The ammeter on my M5-235-C started pulsating awhile ago. Started off with a slight pulsations and gradually became more intense until the overvoltage relay light came on. I had recently replaced the battery so I started with checking the voltage output which was a nominal 13.8 V. I bypassed the overvoltage regulator and the pulsation improved, but did not go away. After discussing with my good friend Greg, an IA and Maule owner, he suggested I look at replacing the regulator with a unit from Zeftronics. There were two possible candidates. Because my OVR was bad and obsolete, I decided to get the unit with built in OVR capability. It is model R15V0N. There is an STC for installation on the M5 and other Maules. I also removed the alternator and had it tested at a local alternator shop. It tested find. I completed the installation of the R15V0N and tested it. No pulsation, and the voltage in very stable. Seems like a good replacement for the obsolete Maule OEM OVR and regulator.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

Dokmow

Post by Dokmow »

Sounds like a good solution. I will keep it in mind if I ever get the same problem.
Hey, I grew up in Petaluma! Is Volpi's still open?
Erick
M5-235C N9009E
My SPOT page

mauleace

Post by mauleace »

I flew the plane today for a couple of hours. The was no perceptable fluctuation in the ammeter needle, measured the voltage at 14.3.

And yes, Volpis is still there. It has been awhile since I have eaten there, but the food is very good.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge