Fabric attach process rudder

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Ian

Fabric attach process rudder

Post by Ian »

I am going to install a Whelen tail pos/strobe unit on my 85' MX7-235 and will need to route 4 wires down through rudder. This will require either making several holes and patching or just recovering all together. I will be contacting Maule directly regarding this question but was curious if any of you had experience with this- the question is how is the fabric attached to ribs on the rudder ? It appears to be two halves or even one piece of fabric wrapped from trailing edge to front edges overlapped the proper amount and glued then taped. This would indicate that the fabric is either glued to ribs or nothing at all.

Regarding the paint and fabric on my plane it is original with exception of horizontal surfaces newly recovered. The fabric tests fine on fuse but paint looks like hell. I discovered that I could get a putty knife under paint and peel off in large sheets right down to blue treated fabric. I have stripped of all of it re glued tapes where necessary and have one coat silver on - two to go then Dune White U-Tech .

Any ideas welcome.

Ian
Best Regards

Ian

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

The fabric is attached using contact cement at each rib. then taped If you havent pulled your old wire out, it could be possible to tape your new wires to the old and VERY carefully thread them through.. other than that, either patches at each rib or a recover

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i put in a screw on inspection cover near the aileron servo tab cables to help in removal/installation of those things. i think it would also help to route wires thru there, with the aid of a coat hanger.
M5-235

Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for replies- Glued to the ribs ...that makes sense given visual inspection. I think I'll remove strip enlarge holes for wires and recover. This will make the best job of it, and it will be another part of the plane made new.

Best

Ian
Best Regards

Ian

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Ian, there would be wires already routed through your rudder from original. By removing the old tail light fixture, you should be able to fish for the wire from the top, or if rudder is removed, then invert it and shake the wire end out. If you want to replace the wire, then pull through with old wire.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Jeremy

I had a look thru tail light hole and could see where what appears to be one wire with some shrink tubing around it passes thru top rib. I gently tugged but it did not want to move. I also , having peeled old paint off down to fabric over entire fuse and rudder , could see what is in there with the sun behind it. I really dont mind recovering as it will be another part of the plane made new again, and the wires can be very neatly installed. I was lucky the paint came off as neatly as it did - now I have an opportunity to renew paint and get a few more years out of it before recovering. Fabric test OK and all tapes were reglued. I am actually enjoying the fabric work.
Best Regards

Ian

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Do me a favor. Try pulling the new wires through with the old. I would like a tail strobe too, but I don't if it requires a recover of the rudder. I want to know if it can be done before I buy the parts.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi

I'll try but I think from looking at what is there now that the hole is too small for all the wires. Whelen offers a 3 wire shielded cable that is .27" dia for the strobe and then there is one more wire for the light. I 'll keep updating this. I have a solid work week ahead but will try to tackle the removal of the rudder this week in the evenings.
Best Regards

Ian