Bushwheels install

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

BUZZ

Bushwheels install

Post by BUZZ »

Getting ready to put on my new set of 31" AK Bushwheels. Fairly mechanically inclined so I'm not too intimidated about the task just looking for any helpful advice. This is probably going to be done in the field so I'm just hoping to be as efficient as I can be.

Still working on getting pics posted and greatly appreciate everybody's comments so far!
Thanks

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Pretty straightforward installation... You will need something to break the beads loose on your old tire / rims. Then on installation I use a length of thread-all with large area washers (1 3/4" to 2"), run thread-all thru axle holes with washers on each side of wheel, tighten nuts to pull wheel halves together while lining up wheel bolt holes, brake disc, etc...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Be very careful that the inner softer portion of the Bushwheel does not get caught between the wheel halves.
Set the brake calipers to the front.
Brake disc spacers may be needed to get appropriate clearance from caliper to tyre. (Not as big an issue if on front)
Be absolutely sure you have the toein/toeout set correctly so as not to scrub the tyres and wear them prematurely.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

What kind of spacers are you talking about Jeremy. Is it something I can pick up at a hardware store? Sizes?
What's needed to adjust the toe in/toe out? Getting ready to take off in the boat this evening and head out so I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row?

Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Spacers to set the brake disc away from the wheel half to achieve appropriate caliper/tyre clearance. ABW sells them, or you might get them at Merril field. Full circle type or Cleveland one for each bolt type. They are 1/8" thick.
Wide aluminium gear use angled shims to set the track, Maule or maybe ABW has them.
Oleo gear must be bent with leverage, or ABW sells HD gear, or Wick Air has a jig I was told.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

Thanks Jeremy
I'm headin out now I'll let you know how it goes.