** Maule Oleo attach hardware **

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

** Maule Oleo attach hardware **

Post by Hottshot »

Good day maule drivers--

Over the past few days we have been working on installing new HD Gear on several Maules here @ Bushwheel Central and I just want to share what we have found so far and give you all a heads up on making sure you have the correct hardware in place to assure you don't have a bad day and your airplane stays in flying condition.

This is a Soft AN bolt in the upper Oleo fitting attach point

Here is what happens when you have very weak strut springs and your Oleo bottoms out

Please make sure to check the proper hardware is installed and your equiptment is not worn out!! I hope this will be informative enuff to not cause alarm but just remind you to be diligent in making sure your aircraft is in good shape.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Wup,
What happened to me was the bolt pulled completely through the Oleo strut which resulted in a prop strike, left wing tip and aileron drug on the runway. I knew my Oleo springs were sagged because it sat left wing low, and knew there was corrosion on the bottom attach points on my Oleo struts, but I was going to wait to annual to fix them. I hadn't had the plane for long, and it had flown like that for years, right? :roll:

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Of course saftey cables would save your airplane from being damaged should one of those bolts or the strut break. Wup? :wink:

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I have also seen the fittings at both ends of the gear struts very elongated where the mono bearings fit in at both the upper and lower attach, to the point where the bearings would just fall out of struts. Appears to have been caused by sacked springs allowing struts to bottom out!!! Rip one of these out completely would make for a very bad day!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I don't think there is anything in the bottom of the strut, but that hole in the tube. Bearings are only in the top, I believe. Yes it sucks when the bolt pulls through.