NEED RIGHT WING MAIN FUEL TANK M-5

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

senoiaslim

NEED RIGHT WING MAIN FUEL TANK M-5

Post by senoiaslim »

Hey guys and gals,

Doing an annual and we found a crack in the right main fuel tank at the cap. It has appears to have already been welded up once. I am afraid that it will be a recurring problem, so I am looking for another tank. If anyone has one layiing around that they want to sell please email me ASAP, as I need this in the air by the first of June!

Thanks.

Mark
memaus@remecorp.com
or call me 770-328-3789
Mark

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm under the impression, hopefully an incorrect one, that the tooling to build the old tanks was destroyed at the factory. Maybe to force anyone who needed one into an expensive wing mod to replace a tank? I guess I shouldn't speculate, but I think there will be no more replacements for old tanks.
I'd find a good tig welder and fix mine if I were you. If it's done correctly it will be stronger than it was new.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

I have not talked to the factory as their tank would be outrages. I am looking for a used tank, (in good condition) that someone may have laying around. I can always go back to the factory or fix the one i have. The tank I have must have been in a wing strike as it is deformed a little.
Mark

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I would check the factory price if I were you. You may find there price may not be that much more than a used one.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The pancake style tanks do get deformed, especially when the vent system gets plugged, often with mud daubers or wasps.
Pressure the tank with a vacuum cleaner on 'blow' and paint tank with soapy water to find leaks.
Leaks can be welded up.
The neck area crack usually comes from gas attendants allowing the weight of the fuel nozzle to hang at an angle against the neck. Best to always self fuel.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

A good safe check for vent obstruction is to climb with one tank selected instead of the BOTH position.

I thought I had a bad fuel pump when I noticed fuel pressure fluxing in the climb. Then noticed that it only happened on the right tank.

I disconnected the right main vent line and blew it out with shop air and sure enough, got a mud dauber out of it.

Personally, I think parts prices are pretty reasonable at Maule compared to other types. Don't rule them out, they can be pretty helpful folks.

Kirk