Annual inspections

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

BUZZ

Annual inspections

Post by BUZZ »

Looking for any recommendations on Maule mechanics up here in Alaska. Just bought my first airplane last month. 1985 M5-235 and am looking for someone preferablly in the mat-su area, but will fly anywhere for good reliable and helpful service. My airplane is due for annual in August but that is sheep hunting season and then moose hunting in sept. so it probablly wont get one till November. Anyway the plane seems to fly and run great but I'm still anxious for it's first inspection, any and all advice welcome and appreciated.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

You may consider having your annual done now.
Flying outside your annual requirments could amoung other things cancel your insurance for the time you are in violation of this issue.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It doesn't look good in the log book either.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

trimmer aviation in willow does a lot of maules. but call ahead he is usually quite busy.
M5-235

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Are you looking for an Owner Assisted Annual or a "Call me when it's Done" annual. if it's the latter, follow Ryan's advice if it's an owner-annual, I have a fellow I use in Wasilla. PM me and I'll get you his name.
I got grounded this year. My engine is 203 hours over TBO and while the compression was excellent, (68-77/80 and ~2 qts in 25 hours) we found some aluminum in the screen. Very little but from a liability standpoint, my AI couldn't sign it off. We believe it's a piston pin button but none the less....
So, this little engine owes me nothing, I've put about 750 hours on it in the last 6-7 years and have never had an issue, ever.
Myself and another fellow Maule owner here have been comparing notes and working together in terms of researching and resourcing these IO-360's. He found a great engine builder in CA that would build a D model with overhauled parts and it should be a terrific package. Should be here in the next couple of weeks. I have an A model. To give an idea of what this project entails, last year I called Mattituck for a quote. Maybe the guy was trying to get me off the phone but his emailed quote was $42,000. After I got off the floor, I started looking harder knowing that at some point in the not so distant future, I was going to need it. That time has arrived.
I am expecting the arrival of a 38 year old, factory new engine this afternoon and if it is as represented, I will have a new engine that has quite a story behind it. Give me a day or so and I'll tell you guys a story about just how small a world it really it is.

Sorry Buzz, didn't mean to snake your wave, happy to share the AI if you need it.

belandd
100+ Posts

New Engine

Post by belandd »

Make sure it has the new crankshaft. All IO-360 continentals have to have the crank replaced at next overhaul or when ever the cases are split for any reason.

If you happen to need a recently overhauled prop I have one.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.