M-5 flap uplock

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

waxer

M-5 flap uplock

Post by waxer »

First of all I'm a rookie to the world of Maules, actually to GA. My M-5 left flap was flapping all over in the hold short in gusty conditions. After the flight I could grab the flap itself and extend to the full down position. The right flap appears to have an unlock that prevents this.
Is there something I can tell my mech to steer him in the right direction?
Thanks, Chris

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Have a look above the inspection hole, there is the retaining mechanism for the flaps. It is one for the left and a separate one for the right, so it could be one wing needs adjustment.
You will be recommended to remove the retaining mechanism, but they all out flying, this forum gets very quiet in summer.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

There is a locking half in each wing. It is very common for those to get bent. The earlier ones weren't as thick as the later ones. This was done in '99. As Freedom said, most people have removed them and replaced with a flap limit cable. Your choice.

waxer

Post by waxer »

Great, thanks. Passed the info to my mech waiting for the verdict.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Waxer, there are flap up return springs that become stretched and do not hold flap in Up position. Low cost so replacement is advised.
The replacement of a flap down limit cable instead of the automatic lock will prevent stretching the spring Plus flap contact with rear window Plus the flap down angle will be better achieved.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Waxer;

Everything Jeremy said and if you use the flap limit cable the uplock mechanism will not be there trying to get on the outside of your wing.

The top wing of my M5 was beat to hell from the inside by the bleeping uplock mechanism before I replaced it with limit cable on advice from Jeremy.

waxer

Post by waxer »

Wow, ok I'll call Maule and order the return springs and flap down limit cable.
I take it this should be done be an A&P?
Thanks!

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I take it this should be done be an A&P?
Since this is a modification of a control surface, I am pretty sure you need an AP and/or IA sign off.

TMurdoch

Flap up lock mechanism removal?

Post by TMurdoch »

For those of you that have removed your flap up lock mechanism and replaced it with a travel limit cable, how did you reattach the flap cable to the bellcrank.

I know in drawing 2003F it shows the cable attached to the bellcrank with an AN115-16 Shackle but I have two new AN115-16 shackles and they do not have a wide enough gap to accept the bellcrank.

Can anyone send me some pics of their flap bellcrank attachment?

Thanks

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

bump, like the previous message can someone send the details on this modification , including photos? you can email them too me if need.

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

CRAZEDpilot, the Flap lock assembly Drawing number 2130E is the original set up that was on the M5. if you compare that drawing to the 2003F drawing you can see how it all goes together. All of those parts are in a difficult place to take good pictures of. Some people have had questions about the difficulty of attaching the Shackle to the Bell crank. I was lucky and did not have those issues. the conversion can be done in a day, if you have all the parts on hand. I was hoping that some of the parts in there were reusable and quickly found out that I should change everything while I was in there.

The part from your other post is a Latching Half part number 2133-( )
Best of luck, and keep band aids on hand!
No great story started with a good idea...

7336C

Re: M-5 flap uplock

Post by 7336C »

Dear All,

I am renovating my M-5-235 wings and I have found flap bellcranks in the wings - photo attached - what I can not identified neither with the old flap lock system on drawing 2003F nor the new flap lock system on drawing 2130E. Do you have any idea what happened here? Any common modification?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Zsolt
7336C

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

It looks like someone removed part of the up lock assembly but not all of it. Most people go back to the earlier cable limit system versus fighting trying to keep the uplock system straight and working properly. It bends and can puncture the upper skins. See item 27 part number 2011B on drawing 2003F sheet 2 wing assembly A&B. Maule sells the cable assembly. It may take a new pull cable with the shackle enclosed in the thimble.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

7336C

Post by 7336C »

I think so, but I my concern is the bellcrank and the bolt inside. Have you ever seen any bellcrank with that additional hole and a bolt or it could be drilled by the one who modified it?

Thanks.
Zsolt
7336C

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I didn't even notice that before. No I haven't seen that but I've only seen a few of them. Maybe one of the more experienced guys will know.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA