Ignition Switch issue ?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Mission Accomplished! The Maule medic and I replaced the ignition switch this morning and she jumped to life with a roar :D . Actually she never started this quickly, a little more than one revolution of the prop. It was way to windy on the left coast to fly and we also have a big fire in Santa Cruz. Luckily the wind is blowing west so the smoke is going out to sea for the time being. As soon as I can get her hot I will see if hot start likes the new ignition switch. I don't anticipate any problem but a test flight will instill confidence.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Hey Jim so you were based at Hotel 3! I bet you haven't heard that in 40years or so?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Follow up!
Took her up yesterday for some grass strip practice. Flew her home, shut down, waited about 20 min. and hot stated her. She ignited after 2 to 3 spins.
now I feel like I can go somewhere and get home :D
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Bill
Haven't heard the Hotel 3 in years, sounds familiar, Was that Cu Chi? Spent most of my time in Cu Chi and Tayninh field site doing hoists off side of the mountain there.. Most of the flying was between Saigon and Cambodia areas, which kept us pretty busy. Had many exciting moments that would give me a heart attack now, thank God for the cobras and snoopy covering our rears in some of the LZ's. Spent a couple months up in Quinon which was lot different scenery. Someday would like to go back and visit some of the tunnel complexes, etc. that were located thru out country. Sorry took so long answering back, but have been very busy up here as summer is upon us!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Jim,
Hotel 3 was Saigon. We got in there every so often mostly a drop for graves reg. The Black Widows were based at Dau Tieng, near Nui Ba Din. We were in and out of Cu Chi & Tay Ninh a lot. If memory serves th 25th infantry was based at Cu Chi? The heart attack was the Central Highlands up by Tuy Hoa.
Dumping eggs to the ROK, White Horse and Tigers. Scambled eggs with shells anyone :D Operating in those mountains scared the crap out me especially slinging a big vat of H2O.
I am on my way up to McCall, ID on the 22 of June to take a mountain course but I wont be hovering over trees with winds blowing every which way. At least I don't plan on it!
I hope to get up to Alaska some summer. I hope we can get together when it happens.
Don't work to hard.
Take Care
Clear Right, Clear Left
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

belandd
100+ Posts

Mag Switch

Post by belandd »

I am glad to see that a new switch fixed the problem. You never know what you will find. I recently found that a alternater system that was failing to charge was not the problem but the 50 amp circuit breaker was the problem. It looked ok but would not connect to the buse.

As for the crew chief stories, I was a flying crew chief on the USAF Jolly Green helicopters out of danang 67-68-69 and back again 70-71.

We flew out of country a lot.

any of you ever make it to Alaska give me a call.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

belandd
100+ Posts

Mag Switch

Post by belandd »

I went a lost track of what I intended to say about mag switch.

Don't forget that the Left mag switch position is connected to the right mag and the Right mag switch position is connected to the left mag.

That way when you are testing for mag drop you are grounding out the opposite mag while you are running on the selected mag.

I am always amused when people begin trouble shooting their mag/switch and come to me saying that the switch is wired backwards.
Valdez, AK.

Roy

mag switch

Post by Roy »

Hey delandd, were you in Danang in 69 when Bob Hope showed up? I got pictures somewhere that I'll have to look up, I think I remember he had Miss USA and Ann Margaret with him but can't remember. I've got to get those pictures out again. My outfit had the CH54s station over there next to the beach. We flew the daily taxi service between Danang and points north in CH 47s.
Roy

belandd
100+ Posts

Switch

Post by belandd »

Yes, I have pictures of that Bob Hope show. I am still in love with Ann Margaret.
I also have pictures of my Sikorsky HH3E being carried home by a Sky Crane.

beland@mosquitonet.com
Valdez, AK.

akloon
100+ Posts

jolly greens

Post by akloon »

Duane,
Thought I'd chime in since I saw your name in North Pole, had to be you. I'm in Bagram right now with Chuck, Bobbi, and some of your other old cohorts. The HH60s are hacking the missions, although we've got the miniguns and Ma Deuce vise M60s
Toons
1995 M-7-235B

akloon
100+ Posts

magneto CBT

Post by akloon »

1995 M-7-235B

belandd
100+ Posts

Mag Switch

Post by belandd »

Hey Toons

You guys be careful. I am still running the charter boat in Valdez so give me a call for a "free" salmon fishing trip is you get back this summer.

Ask Chuck about it he had a great time.
Valdez, AK.

akloon
100+ Posts

return trip

Post by akloon »

Duane
I'll ask Chuck tomorrow. He's doing a great job, of course, and looking forward to his time off. I'll be headed down to Maxwell for a year, so you're going to have to hold my spot until next year!
Toons
1995 M-7-235B