Fabric repair and paint shops

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I can't imagine that insurance wouldn't cover a complete recover and repair/replacement of the damaged control surfaces. If not, then you may want to seriously reevaluate your insurance (& let all us know, too).

With respect to PolyFiber or Ceconite, you could do either one on your own just with the manuals and a little help from a few friends (whom you may not even know yet). As for me, I'd bring it up through silver and find someone else to do the finish coats.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I have to wonder how much better (or worse) you would've fared with Oratex that was the same age (which I know isn't possible, yet)? Check out this video: https://youtu.be/yoI5PEIxtEg

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Coming up on a month later and I finally have 3 estimates turned into the insurance adjuster. They should get back to me by early next week. Should be a pretty easy decision as 2 of the 3 would most likely have them total the aircraft.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

They would total it for what looks like a fairly simple (not quick though) fabric job mostly?

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

The thinking in the industry (finance and insurance) is that they value Maules at about $30,000, even though you can't buy a flying Maule for any thing less than twice that much. So at their perceived value, a recover that cost 20 to 25K would be a total because that is within their 75% value rule.
M5

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

How much hull insurance do you have?

If I understand correctly, if damage is ~75% of the covered amount they tend to total it, pay you the covered amount and salvage the aircraft to recover the 25%.

I could be wrong and would love to hear a definitive answer to this.

TD

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

TomD, you understand correctly. Part of the issue is what we may choose to determine hull value for; sometimes we cause problems for ourselves by undervaluing the hull coverage in an attempt to save money. You can save some money buy doing it this way BUT if you have a claim, the 75% rule will bite you. It will take a seemingly minor repair to a total in their eyes. They are only looking at the numbers to manage their financial risk so we had best play by their rules.
M5

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

if they do total it check on the bid for salvage you maybe able to buy it back and repair it. I bid on my M4 but the bid was low and that was ok just be sure you value it right. Bid +repair = good plane worth what you will have in it . Good luck
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Bought the plane for 35k insured for 40k and the adjuster said they'll go up to the mid to upper 20's for the repair before they total it. I'll most likely be paying extra to paint the wings and fix any corrosion issues or other surprises after pulling the covering.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Lynn Mace, owner of AGL Aviation, did a very nice re-fabric job on a Maule in 2015. Here's a link to the photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 63b2a03e4f

Here's his website:
https://www.aglaviation.com/

I saw the Maule and looked at it up close. High quality work. Don't know what he charged, though. Maybe the owner of N9232P is on this forum and can provide some feedback.

Lynn is located at Foothills Regional Airport in Morganton, NC where I'm based. He does my annuals and repair work and is a good mechanic familiar with Maules.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I looked up the owner of N9232P in the photos and it's the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I don't have a contact there but I'll try to get one if you're interested.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Sure that would be great thanks.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

A follow up for those interested. I'm just finishing up the paperwork with Starr Insurance. They will be paying for the full estimate of the recover and repaint of the fabric surfaces. I'll be paying the difference to get the wings and cowling repainted as well. It's been a bit of a slow process trying to get estimates from the different small shops but once I had those to the adjuster Starr stepped up big. I'm very satisfied with the outcome so far. Now on to other decisions like what the new paint scheme and colors will be.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

The Maule has been delivered to Klatt Aero in Waupaca WI. I lucked out and was able to sneak a couple of days in at Oshkosh after dropping the plane off. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress and how the shop does for recommendation purposes.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

The way she looked when I left her:

ImageUntitled by gdflys1gregflys, on Flickr

A few areas of corrosion to take care of