Hooker Harness Seatbelts, M5

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

MS Pirate

Hooker Harness Seatbelts, M5

Post by MS Pirate »

Hopefully, this will provide an easy to "search" thread for seatbelt info...

We replaced our seatbelts in our M5 and have been extremely satisfied with the quality and fit with Hooker Harnesses.

REAR SEAT
Separate 3-point belts with Lift Lid buckle.
We used hardware provided by Maule to add the attachment points.
Submitted 337 for welding.
Ordered belts from Hooker Harness and installed with Airframe Logbook entry.

FRONT SEAT
Separate 4-point belts with inertia reel shoulder harness and military buckle.
We used bracket supplied by Maule to mount inertia reel.
Ordered belts from Hooker Harness and installed with Airframe Logbook entry.

Information and pictures to follow...
Last edited by MS Pirate on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

REAR SEAT

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

FRONT SEAT

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Most critical measurement is from the attachment point to the adjuster for the front seats...
too short and adjuster is unusable...
too long and you give up "skinny people" adjustments...

View is of front seats and center of aircraft.
Although the picture makes this look crowded...it works fine.

Works for 100 pound kids, up to those folks that are "2.5 times bigger"

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Talk to Scott at Hooker Harness
815-233-5478

Part Numbers:

REAR SEAT
Shoulder 2D3030-3D
Lap 206440

FRONT SEAT
Shoulder 1Y542430-4
Lap 1013030

Choose your own color webbing.
Last edited by MS Pirate on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

FYI on measurements....
(not needed to order...use part numbers listed above)

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Nice shirts too....

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

MS Pirate wrote:Talk to Scott at Hooker Harness
815-233-5478

Part Numbers:

REAR SEAT
Shoulder 2D3030-3D
Lap 206440

FRONT SEAT
Shoulder 1Y542430-4
Lap 1013030

Choose your own color webbing.
Since I am in the process of adding the Hooker harnesses to my M5 rear seats I figured I'd add the list of airframe parts available from the Maule factory to convert from the single lap belt to the later individual 3-point belts:

(1) 1239-1 Tube for rear seat belt
(1) 1239-2 Fitting
(1) 1239-15 Tube
(1) 1235-1 Tube, threaded fitting
(2) 1334 Bushing, seat belt

andy
Site Admin

Re: Hooker Harness Seatbelts, M5

Post by andy »

Thought I would re-open this thread since I installed Hooker Harness rear sling seat seatbelts and shoulder harnesses in my 1986 MX-7-180 yesterday. I hated the inertial reels that Maule installed because they were right beside the heads of rear seat passengers and could have caused severe injury or death in a crash with a sideways head impact. I replaced them with flat metal buckle manually-adjustable 3-point harnesses like the ones in the rear seats of Cessna 180s and 185s, which I like.

When I installed the quick release rear sling seat a few years ago, the new top bar shifted the top of the sling seat aft slightly, which put the inertial reels in that bad position.

Hooker Harness had me do a lot of measurements sitting in the sling seat. They charged me $200 per set - total $400. I thought it was a good price and the belts are high quality.

There's a stack of washers and a longer AN5-5 bolt that come with the quick release rear sling seat. When you remove the right inertial shoulder reel and install the thinner metal shoulder harness attach point, you don't need as many washers but you still need the 5/16" bushing that allows the metal attach point to pivot when the bolt is tightened. Don't lose it when all the washers come tumbling down!

Here are some photos.

Andy
1986 MX7-180

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks for posting Andy, MS Pirate,

Just took all seats in for re-upholstering today. I’ll do the same belts as you, I think that’s reasonable for two shoulder belts. Don’t know which Maule you have, I’ll assume it’s newer than an M5. As you know, the 1976 M5 rear seat has one lap belt for both rear seat occupants. I will need to have an opening through middle of the new seat back to facilitate the center mount clasp, which the current seat does not have. Could you please share a photo of yours so I can give instructions to the upholstery shop? I don’t know if it should be vertical or horizontal.

Thanks! .....Carl
Last edited by krautman67 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 M5-235C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Vertical slit in my M5 sling seat which has 2 independent seat belts.

Nothing fancy, just wide enough to pass the buckle through when removing or installing the seat.

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

As Kirk said, you will need a 6" reinforced slit in the bottom middle of the sling seat fabric under the seat cushion near the seat back for the lap belts to bolt to the floor. The slit in the sling fabric runs parallel to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. My Maule is a 1986 MX-7-180 but Maule Flight welded a left side shoulder belt attach point and middle floor attach point to the frame when they rebuilt my airplane in 2010. The right side shoulder belt attach point was already there since that's where the top seat tube connects to the frame. They re-used the two floor attach points that the lap belt used. I'll take some photos next time I'm at the hangar.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks Andy, Kirk,
I contacted Scott at Hooker, but have not heard back yet. The Maule drawing for this indicates a 3” x 3” hole for the center of the rear seat back to facilitate this, but that would be for a non-Hooker harness. I’ll wait to hear from Hooker before the upholstery gets under way, I might be able to narrow that width in the sling seat down to just over an inch, since it looks like just the flat attach point that would need to pass through there for installation.
Also Andy, it appears in the photo of your rear seat that the shoulder belt ends up at about the middle of the seated occupant, like the strap going to the middle attach point is way too long. I know this would not be the case, since the objective of a 3 point harness is to cross the upper torso from outer shoulder to inboard waist. It must be a scotch induced optical illusion on my part:)
Thanks for your input!
Carl

Your interior is very clean and tidy, looks fantastic....this old red has got to go!

[url=https://postimg.cc/Wd4LTNNc][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Wd4LTNNc/AAD57-CEF ... 7355-B.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

After I installed the Hooker harnesses and took the photos, I shortened up on the latch sides of the lap belts and lengthened the non-latch side to move the junction of the shoulder harness closer to the center of the seat. There's a lot of slack on the latch side of the lap belt now but it's not really an issue.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks Andy,
I spoke with Scott today. He is duplicating your order for me.
Carl
1976 M5-235C