Fuel hose

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Fuel hose

Post by bobguhr »

Anyone know the size and type of fuel hose that runs between the wing root and the fusealage I’m consistantly getting black specs/debris in my gascolator and im thinking a deteriorating hose might be the culprit I’d like to have a replacement on hand before I disconnect the old one to check. M6 Universal wing Four 21.5 gall tanks new style vents O540J

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Before you take the airplane apart.

Look into the condition of the FBO's fule farm hoses. Myself and the rest of us at our local airport were getting black specks to what looked like fine black sand in fule samples along with drippy sump valves. Turned out to be the hose at the pump was years past it's replacement date, ( we had to prove it to them with a clean white T shirt and a 5 gal bucket) but a new hose on the pump solved problem.
The best Government, is less Government.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Good thinking I'll check on that Thanks

Nick

Post by Nick »

I had similar black debris, when I took the tanks out I found an old black sending gauge float, it was free floating in the tank and slowing eroding. also found a quarter but the float was definitely the culprit.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

A quarter ! That plain definitely a keeper, it's a money maker :lol: really makes one wonder what the hell was going on to get it into the tank.
The best Government, is less Government.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Ok I'll check the inside of the tank as well. I'll be looking for specks and money :D

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Rob did you ever find out about the rubber hoses? I have a leak in the left side down the door post behind the left door somewhere and may replace all the hoses while I'm at it. Thanks.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Don't remember off the top of my head. I should have some extra at the hangar, I'll check next time I'm there.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Fuel hose

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy,

Upon tearing down damaged fusalge M7-235C, the hose stubs at top of door posts attached to fuel lines are Reinforced Rubber (thread in middle of wall thickness) with a 3/8" id and 3/4" od.
Also noted a number of " 16886 " in red print, along with " MIL- H " in white print. The rest of this number was cut off due to length of hose.

I trust this helps!

Good luck! You can always call Maule and have them send a few feet.

Tom

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I had the same problem with small black particles in the gascolator. Turned out the company that did the restoration for the previous owner used vacuum line instead of fuel line.

Caught by a sharp IA who showed me how the inside of the line was shedding rubber. Kind of surprising considering most all the rest of the work was top notch.

Kirk

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

From someone at Maule I was told ID 3/8" and MIL-DTL6000D. Also shared a bunch of nice pics which helped until I can get deeper into it. Thanks.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I am also looking to replace these since I am not sure how old mine are (the rest down stream were replaced a few years ago) and also getting junk in the gascolator. Was thinking of using just regular fuel line but I don't recall it being very flexible for tight spaces or if it would stretch over a barb.

I looked up the MIL-DTL6000D and it sounded perfect except at the very end it states "This hose is not recommended for use as fuel lines". If that's what Maule uses I'm all in, just wonder why Spruce's description *recommends* against it? Maybe because flexible lines can potentially kink so just need to be careful with the short routing?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... il6000.php

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I saw the same on Spruce however if you research the MIL spec it’s says fuel line too.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

gdflys wrote:I saw the same on Spruce however if you research the MIL spec it’s says fuel line too.
Sounds good, thanks.