AirWolf filter placement M5-210

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Maule-igan

AirWolf filter placement M5-210

Post by Maule-igan »

I just received an Air-wolf oil filter for My M-5 210. I am looking for the best spot to put it on the firewall. The motor is off now and would like to place it prior to installing the new one. Does anybody have an idea? There really is not a great spot that I can tell.
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Bill Maule-igan......COOL
Unless someone comes forward with your exact situation to tell you where to mount, don't do it.
You need to set the engine on to have everything fit correctly including the lines.
I will almost guarantee you will have a problem if you mount the filter first.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I have the m4-210 with the airwolf filter. It is located on the firewall, right side. It is mounted so that it screws upright into the housing which is better for not spilling oil all over like some of the 90 degree mounts during oil change. I still manage to always spill some however.

Mikew

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Is it not permissable to hang it from the engine mount? If allowable I would go that route as you wouldn't have to make any holes in anything.
I'm a fan of vertical filters as well, it allows me to pre-fill a filter so you get oil pressure faster.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

After you loosen the filter a little, slide a large zip lock bag over it. It helps catch any spill.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Maybe MikeW can send you a picture for the exact location and the length of the lines.
I don't know if M4 v. M5 makes any difference

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Be careful drilling through the firewall. All kinds of things are behind it that do not like holes inserted

Maule-igan

Air wolf

Post by Maule-igan »

Thanks for all of the advise. I think that I will look more into mounting this to the Motor Mount. There is not much room for anything that is for sure. Now all I need is the Mount. I ordered it but my plane is old enough that Maule did not have one lying around so they are building it new. No big deal accept I ordered the motor and it is here already and they are wondering where my core is. I don't want to send it until I am sure I will not need anything from it.
Happy flying and Thanks again.
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Good luck, it sound like you are building a beauty.
When you paint the wing tips don't forget to call it a MAULE-IGAN.
Please post some pictures as you go.

I hope you don't mind my advise.....As A64 stated mount your filter correctly and fill it with oil before you screw it on.
I advise this for start up...remove upper spark plugs and spin engine with starter until you get a rise in the oil pressure gauge. This pre-oils the engine. VERY important on new engine.
I do this EVERY time I change the oil on my M5. It only takes an extra 15 minutes and is worth much much more. If my starter gets warm or my battery is low, I spin it with the prop by hand.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Maybe MikeW can share those pictures with the rest of the class.... 8) :D

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I will go take some pictures today. I will need some help on how to post pictures, never done that before.

Mike

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Ok. I have some pictures but not sure how to post on here.

Mike[/img]

Maule-igan

Posting a picture

Post by Maule-igan »

I am not sure how to post a picture.

Hey TC that is Great advice on pulling the plugs and running the oil pressure up. Thanks Again.[/img]
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

ANYBODY INTERESTED IN AN AIR WOLF OIL FILTER? I INSTALLED THE F&M FITER RIGHT ONTO THE MOTOR AND IT FITS WONDERFUL. NO FUSS NO MUSS. :D
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa