Mandatory SB-30

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Can any of you guys close to Maule answer Beaver from Texas question.
What is SB# 29? I sent an Email to Brent and Charles but no reply to date.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

flyer wrote:HOW RIDICULOUS

The next step may be to put yellow paint on the aileron cables then the brake/rudder cables. How about a sign in the cockpit to remind us to pull back to go up?

This type of over regulation belongs in commercial aviation not in general aviation. I think we should accept responsibility for our own mistakes or oversights. If you want to put yellow paint on these things, it should be up to you. How about checking the controls after they have been worked on?

flyer
Try to buy a cup of coffee, without a printed warning that it might be hot. Besides, you could paint the wrong thing yellow.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

All of the cables including the trim, aileron and flap cables should also be painted.
The positive battery cable and post should have paint.
The correct hydraulic lines to the correct brakes should be painted.
There are probably many other things that will require yellow paint so that mechanics do not have to double check their work. We will not have to double check the mechanic's work.

It will make us a lot safer.

I am thinking of painting my left seat yellow so that I do not make a mistake and sit in the wrong one.

flyer
Flyer

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

You are all correct.
My daughter is not allowed to move the aircraft without conducting a flight control check. When ever my aero commander is TOUCHED I have someone outside the aircraft verify all control movement. BECAUSE you cannot see ANY control surfaces in the pilots seat.
THE FIX:
MANDITORY PROCEDURE:
Any time an aircraft is serviced, repaired or altered and before said aircraft is returned to service the mechanic returning the aircraft to service will fill out a form approved by the Faa stating he has twice performed a control surfaces check including but not limited to all aircraft surfaces that can effect any attitude of fight by the pilot. After this form has been completed a log book entry shall be made in support of this form. The form shall be placed in a conspicuos place in the aircraft (taped to dash). The first to fly this aircraft shall in addition to the mechanic verify and sign that he too has checked the control surfaces and found them to be in proper order. Falure to do so will result in a spanking.
This is kind of long for a first draft. BUT, this just keeps on happening and people keep getting killed. I was very close to one of these situations and all that were involed were nothing but the finest.

belandd
100+ Posts

Mandarory Sb

Post by belandd »

I am having my left and right hand painted. Just the finger nails thank you.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

TomD
100+ Posts

cables

Post by TomD »

Well I don't know about this whole paint the cables thing.

I had my bird in the shop ( unfortunately not one that sees lots of Maules ) and they did the SB-30, but rigged the trim wheel backwards.

That was a bunch of fun on the first flight. High speed taxi did not turn it up but the tons of forward pressure on the yoke at lift off grabbed my attention especially when it got worse rolling the wheel forward.

Loved the mechanics response ( not the IA ) "You'll get used to it." and the second mechanic " That is how Maule rigs 'em."

They did paint the correct elevator cable and even painted the other one black for better contrast.

TD