VOR/ILS antenna options question

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Truck

VOR/ILS antenna options question

Post by Truck »

I bought a 1967 Maule M-4-220C last year. It was originally manufactured with a Melco M809 "whisker" type NAV antenna on the upper vertical stabilizer. One of the previous owners removed the NAV radio and the antenna at some point. The vertical stabilizer (where the factory antenna was installed) has been recovered. Therefore there is no easy access to the mounting area of the original antenna. Also, I have spoken to the Maule factory and the Melco M809 antenna is no longer available. I'm looking for a new antenna solution for my application. And hopefully it's a solution that doesn't involve uncovering the tail.
Thanks in advance.
1967 M4-220C Franklin

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:)
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Truck

Post by Truck »

MauleWacko wrote:Sounds like one of my old airplanes. If it is I would leave it alone and put the C201 prop back on it. I would see 150 mph out of it being clean and light at 1320 empty. Over A decade ago 2012U
It is 2012U!
1967 M4-220C Franklin

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

When I recovered mine, I had the whiskers mounted inside the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. An avionics shop actually gave me the idea. Seems to be working just fine and is IFR certified.

Truck

Post by Truck »

DirtDobber wrote:When I recovered mine, I had the whiskers mounted inside the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. An avionics shop actually gave me the idea. Seems to be working just fine and is IFR certified.
Thank you for the idea!
1967 M4-220C Franklin

johnmo61

Re: VOR/ILS antenna options question

Post by johnmo61 »

DirtDobber,

Do you have any pics if the wisker installation behind the baggage area.

Thanks John

drak130
100+ Posts

Re: VOR/ILS antenna options question

Post by drak130 »

Yes please on the pictures. I am in the same boat.

VFR only GPS and no VOR antennas, just the hole in the tail where it was supposed to go. According to the books the airplane never had it so why the holes? Anyway, having an IFR GPS installed this April and toying with the idea of a standard NAV/COM for back up. Depending on the time of day, I go back and forth on the need for a VOR/ILS.

Sounds like the internal mount may be the easy solution.?

Tim