New battery required, any recommendations for MX7-180A

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

widgeon13

New battery required, any recommendations for MX7-180A

Post by widgeon13 »

As stated above, I am in need of a new battery for my aircraft. The battery being replaced is a Gill-35-M. I'm satisfied with this battery but was wondering if anyone had any others to recommend that you feel perform any better.

Thanks

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Concord RG35AXC

I switched from Gill

MX7 180

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm having difficulty finding the Gill as most places have it on backorder.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I also switched to the ConcordeRG35AXC . The Concorde is shipped fully charged. Whereas the gill needed to be charged for 24 hours. In addition if the gill
is not charged via start up or trickle charge the acid will attack the cells causing failure in about 60-90 days. The concorde IMHO is a better battery.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

OK, now any recommendations on where to buy the Concorde, sorry to be such a pain.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

widgeon13 wrote:OK, now any recommendations on where to buy the Concorde, sorry to be such a pain.
I've got a Gill that I will give you for free. I took it out after it vented acid on my brand new fabric. :evil: Seriously the Concorde recombinant gas is the only battery to consider because it can't leak acid. Make sure it is a RG.
I bought mine from Spruce and at the time shipping was free.
The Concorde is heavier, so a new W&B is required.

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

a64pilot wrote:
widgeon13 wrote:OK, now any recommendations on where to buy the Concorde, sorry to be such a pain.
I've got a Gill that I will give you for free. I took it out after it vented acid on my brand new fabric. :evil: Seriously the Concorde recombinant gas is the only battery to consider because it can't leak acid. Make sure it is a RG.
I bought mine from Spruce and at the time shipping was free.
The Concorde is heavier, so a new W&B is required.
Appreciate the offer but not sure what I am going to do at this time. Certainly don't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm checking into Concorde right now.

(How would you ship if acid already added? Would you just want me to cover shipping?)

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

You can check your Maule manual. Maule's orginal battery in my plane was a Concorde so the wt & bal. should be as stated in manual. I think he was only kidding about the shipping the Gill :lol:
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

sojorrn wrote:You can check your Maule manual. Maule's orginal battery in my plane was a Concorde so the wt & bal. should be as stated in manual. I think he was only kidding about the shipping the Gill :lol:
Gullible/stupid me. I'll work on getting a Concorde. Thanks for the info.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Since you live in New York you definitely have periods of inclement weather. If your aircraft is tied down outside there is a feature I have been using that keeps the battery trickle charged.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-charg ... PF12w.html

If the plane is hangared you may want to look into an electrical trickle charge for the battery. It is a good for the battery to be active especially for long periods of time.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

No, Even I'm not enough of a a** to give someone a battery that vented acid on my plane. Just I'm done with batteries that can leak acid. The chance of having to spend real money to fix an acid leak is too great. Unless you have an RG battery already, I think the weight will change.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

A64 your test pilot humor makes me LOL but it does straddle the dark side on occasion. Maybe you should change your call sign to Vader or Skywalker :lol: I am only kidding Yoda! I only wish I knew a 1/10 of your knowledge in aviation.
Keep em Flyin :D
Grasshopper
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

I will find a Concorde and redo the W&B, not a problem. My plane is still in a hangar with 2FT of snow outside the door so, unfortunately I still have some time to take care of the details. This has been a particularly bad winter in the Adirondacks, difficult one for keeping snow from around the hangar doors.

K09 doesn't get much traffic from Dec into April, runway is clear but that's about all and we've had a lot of snow this winter. I could do w/o another one like this for at least 10 years.

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

Got the battery installed and everything working fine. Can someone give me wording for a log book entry for this work. Do I just document the date and who did the work + model of battery?